Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Buying a lifted '01 XJ. Mind looking it over first?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Buying a lifted '01 XJ. Mind looking it over first?

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2001 Cherokee. I haven't had a Jeep in over a decade, so I wanted to get some feedback from you guys first. Is there anything I should be concerned about? How much do you think this would be worth?

Specs
  • 2001 XJ
  • 16,000 miles (new engine)
  • body in good condition with only very minor paint chips
  • no visible rust

Modifications
  • 3" lift, spring lift in front, rear overload
  • 30x9.5 BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain Tires
  • Revolver shackles
  • Front sway disconnect
  • Smittybilt winch
  • Throttle body spacer
  • Glasspack

Replacements
  • Replaced U-joints (all but front passenger)
  • Rebuilt front drive shaft
  • Replaced rear drive shaft (3 years)
  • Replaced brakes (1 year ago)
  • Replaced radiator, added auxiliary tranny cooler (5 years ago)

Last edited by j.dub; 04-19-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:32 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1993 YJ Wrangler
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by j.dub
I am about to pull the trigger on a 2001 Cherokee.
It has revolver shackles and a throttle body spacer. I wouldn't buy it because I can't trust the current owner's decisions.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

A throttle body spacer on a XJ is a complete waste of hard earned money.. Spacers work on throttle body injected vehicle and the XJ is multiport injected,,, MPI. Meaning instead of the fuel spraying directly into the throttle body it is sprayed through multiple injectors directly into the intake manifold. .
A spacer helps a TBI vehicles by increasing the amount of air inside the intake manifold that the fuel has to mix with,( more air = more power).
Since the injectors on a XJ are located right at the ports for the head,,a spacer will not increase airflow..
Also its a 01..with Cali emissions,,, Yuck,, you should also look up 0331 head crack for the 2001 cherokees

Last edited by Dumajones; 04-19-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by NewKindOfClown
It has revolver shackles and a throttle body spacer. I wouldn't buy it because I can't trust the current owner's decisions.
Would you mind elaborating a bit on this? Thanks!

Does the throttle body spacer have any adverse effects on an XJ (other than wasting money)?

Originally Posted by Dumajones
A throttle body spacer on a XJ is a complete waste of hard earned money.. Spacers work on throttle body injected vehicle and the XJ is multiport injected,,, MPI. Meaning instead of the fuel spraying directly into the throttle body it is sprayed through multiple injectors directly into the intake manifold. .
A spacer helps a TBI vehicles by increasing the amount of air inside the intake manifold that the fuel has to mix with,( more air = more power).
Since the injectors on a XJ are located right at the ports for the head,,a spacer will not increase airflow..
Also its a 01..with Cali emissions,,, Yuck,, you should also look up 0331 head crack for the 2001 cherokees
The engine was replaced 3 years ago. Will the 0331 head crack still be an issue?

Also the radiator was replaced and an auxiliary automatic transmission cooler was installed. If I understand it correctly, this should help prevent over-heating which seems to be the leading cause of head cracking?

Thanks for point out the CA emissions. Luckily Wyoming does not require emission testing. If i were to license elsewhere, would I likely need to replace all 4 O2 sensors then?
Old 04-19-2016, 08:47 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

I'll reply when I'm not driving if Duma doesn't beat me to it
Old 04-19-2016, 08:52 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Would you mind elaborating a bit on this? Thanks!

Does the throttle body spacer have any adverse effects on an XJ (other than wasting money)?

The engine was replaced 3 years ago. Will the 0331 head crack still be an issue?
Also the radiator was replaced and an auxiliary automatic transmission cooler was installed. If I understand it correctly, this should help prevent over-heating which seems to be the leading cause of head cracking?
Thanks for point out the CA emissions. Luckily Wyoming does not require emission testing. If i were to license elsewhere, would I likely need to replace all 4 O2 sensors then?
If the motor was replaced then it might have already had a head issue in the past that took out the motor.. So hopefully the PO had them take care of the head also with a new one and not the 0331
As for the spacer...NO its just a waste..
Yes a new radiator is good.. Not good to over heat a XJ.
As for emissions,,just because you don't get tested should not keep you from keeping/having good O2 sensors(Helps it run better you know lol)
But if the O2's aren't bad why would you need to change them if you move?
As for the revolver shackles,, From what I have read (no first hand experience) there is a unloading effect or something along those lines that makes them unpredictable. Allowing the body to get away and possibly put you into a roll situation.

Last edited by Dumajones; 04-19-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:20 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Revolver shackles are a gimmick. They look interesting on paper, but they're unpredictable and dangerous offroad. A cursory internet search would've provided that info before buying them.

Throttle body spacers, as Duma explained, are a complete waste of money on a multi-point fuel injected vehicle. More ignorant purchases.

The engine was likely replaced due to a cracked head. If they put the same 0331 casting head on there, the new motor doesn't mean anything. If it's a better casting, that's a big plus.

But I still wouldn't trust any vehicle from that owner.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:23 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Oh, more:

The vehicle is 16 years old. If the radiator wasn't replaced, it's due anyway. The XJ radiator is hardly adequate, and age doesn't help them. The aux trans cooler is a big plus, but it won't help with coolant temp (which is what cracks the head).

And the O2 sensors... I had an '01. It needed all four of them replaced, and I was getting 6mpg with the bad sensors.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

• 16,000 miles (new engine)
Proof?
How many miles on the whole mess?
btw, these threads never work out very well...
Old 04-19-2016, 10:36 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Agreed. OP is asking us to make an informed decision off of very little text...pics would help. Value is subjective. Depends on where you live, price will vary greatly location to location. The advice given, based off what was provided has been spot on so far.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

The what I suspect are not overload leafs in the rear but AAL are not the best choice either for a lift you really want a full leaf pack. The shackles are junk also and I would never run them either. They seemed to have cheapen out in some areas of the build from what little you posted.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Any pictures of it ?
Old 04-22-2016, 10:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Don't be scared off by the CA emissions. It just means a y down pipe and a couple extra O2 sensors. I'm running an '01 with CA emissions (I think all 01's were CA emissions, fwiw) and still on stock exhaust to the cat. Runs fine.

The head is something to be aware, of honestly, most people who make a big deal about the 0331 head are guys that have never run one. Still on the stock head and going strong. Just need to make sure to keep the temp down. Hood louvres are a good idea for those on the original head.

Having said that, if I was springing for something with a new motor, I would for damn sure check to make sure they had not simply slapped the old head on. Get what you are paying for!
Old 04-22-2016, 10:45 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Originally Posted by thebyus
Don't be scared off by the CA emissions. It just means a y down pipe and a couple extra O2 sensors. I'm running an '01 with CA emissions (I think all 01's were CA emissions, fwiw) and still on stock exhaust to the cat. Runs fine.

The head is something to be aware, of honestly, most people who make a big deal about the 0331 head are guys that have never run one. Still on the stock head and going strong. Just need to make sure to keep the temp down. Hood louvres are a good idea for those on the original head.

Having said that, if I was springing for something with a new motor, I would for damn sure check to make sure they had not simply slapped the old head on. Get what you are paying for!
Cali emissions is on all '01s, yes. It means 4 O2 sensors that are probably original and in need of replacing. When I had mine (several years ago, mind you), they were $70 each. And if the downpipe cracks (yes, if), you need the one with pre-cats in it. There is greater potential cost of maintenance in a '00/01.

And hood vents don't lower the coolant temperature, which is what causes the 0331 to crack. Yes, the engine bay gets hot. But if it ever matches the coolant temperature at operation, something besides your hood needs to be fixed. Ambient air, despite feeling hot when you open the hood, doesn't crack heads.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:57 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

I bought my 2000 new. I never once had it over heat on me. I kept the radiator clean and flushed with regular maintenance, the head still cracked. So just keep the temp down is not true..
Yes there are many guys running around still with 0331 head and that's great. But when dealing with the 0331 head you are playing the lottery you might win the crack or you might not..
I won mine.yahoooooo!! lol

Last edited by Dumajones; 04-22-2016 at 11:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying a lifted '01 XJ. Mind looking it over first?