Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron rock offroad or currie steering kit

Old 05-15-2012, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter
Default Iron rock offroad or currie steering kit

Have been looking to upgrade my steering setup. Tie rods and drag link. I am on the fence with the IRO with OTK and spherical ends or the Currie set up with tie rod ends. This jeep is still going to be on the road a lot as well, but also wheeled in the rocks pretty hard. What would your opinions be?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: l6

Hudfab makes good stuff
Old 05-15-2012, 03:47 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

The WJ Knuckle swap has been the most appealing to me of the various steering options I've read up on.

Junkyard parts so not putting too much cash into the D30.
Raises the Drag Link several inches, depending on lift size it can get it near stock angle
Can do an over the knuckle for the tie rod for raised clearance
Also you get larger dual piston calipers out of it

Here is some info on it
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/bra...kles/index.htm
http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...kle-conversion

Regarding the ones you've listed.

I don't have first hand knowledge, but I've seen a lot of people comment regarding having issues with using Heim Joints (spherical ends) on street driven rigs. Something to do with the way in which they fail. They don't seem to be concerned about it happening at low trail speeds, but highway speeds seems to be a concern I frequently read.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 RENIX

i'd run the currie out of those choices. a few guys i wheel with do and it holds up very well. its completely bolt on, super beefy, and retains the stock inverted Y style so no worry about tie rod roll. i plan to go with the currie setup when i get the cash.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

It depends on how much lift you are running really. The Currie setup is the same as stock, tie rod attached to the steering link. Now I've never ran or owned that setup, but it seems to me it would still have the same problems as the stock steering. Because its the same just beefier.

The IRO steering has a tie rod that actually connects from knuckle to knuckle and the steering linkage has its own connection to the knuckle (not a separate mounting point, like a wj knuckle)

That's why I went with IRO, I just got the otk kit and track bar from them about a week ago. They are super stout. If you do get it, get the 5/8 bolt upgrade, when I was researching it didmt make much sense to put a 1/2" bolt in a tapered hole.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:55 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

JCR OFFROAD
Knuckle to knuckle tierod setup with 1Ton TREs.

I am running their OTK setup for over 3 years now with zero issues on or off the road.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/mercha...tegory_Code=S6
Old 05-15-2012, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by DieselD
It depends on how much lift you are running really. The Currie setup is the same as stock, tie rod attached to the steering link. Now I've never ran or owned that setup, but it seems to me it would still have the same problems as the stock steering. Because its the same just beefier.

The IRO steering has a tie rod that actually connects from knuckle to knuckle and the steering linkage has its own connection to the knuckle (not a separate mounting point, like a wj knuckle)

That's why I went with IRO, I just got the otk kit and track bar from them about a week ago. They are super stout. If you do get it, get the 5/8 bolt upgrade, when I was researching it didmt make much sense to put a 1/2" bolt in a tapered hole.
I'm running a 6.5" short arm kit. I wish I would have got the long arm, but I will change that later on.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:14 AM

If you're interested in the IRO kit, consider the Rock Krawler kit. It makes more sense to me. That being said, I have no experience with any of these kits.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...ducts_id=89921
Old 05-16-2012, 01:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I have the Currie steering and run 35s on an RE 3.5" and it has been good, but eventually I want to do the WJ setup. Nothing wrong with the Currie, but the WJ setup gives you better angles and better brakes.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:31 PM

Just spoke with a friend of mine who does custom fabrication and I think I'm going to have him make me some solid drag link bar and tie rod bars and have them threaded for 1 ton tie rod ends. I might have a OTK setup done as well. Just put a tapered end in the knuckle and fab a bracket to make this work. I saw a setup he did to another rock crawler.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:42 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: HO 4.0

I would have to say Currie . We run it on our Jeepspeed racer , very strong unit . If desert racing cant beat it up , nothing can . . .