Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron Rock 5.5" LA

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: inline 6 4.0L
Default Iron Rock 5.5" LA

Well I'm going to go ahead and say it, I'm not THAT impressed. Dont get me wrong everything looks VERY stout and VERY strong but the ride isn't much better than how my old RC lift was. it does absorb the bumps a little better but the vibration in the Jeep sucks! I must have done something wrong because I seem to be to only person that hasn't been impressed with the lift. So if you guys/gals can help me diagnose what could be wrong that would be much appreciated.

let me start out by telling you what I have on the Jeep. like you already know, IRO 5.5 critical path LA lift, 35x12.5x15 Cooper STT (good tread), D30 & chryco 8.25 29 spline 3.55 gears. It has good ball joints and u-joints on both drive shafts and axle shafts and has a hack and tap SYE. Just got the alignment done on it today, the toe is good but the caster isn't what it should be but they did what they could. IRO recommends +4.5, the alignment shop could only get it to +1.6 on the left and 1.2 on the right. which brings me to another issue. the caster adjuster is a B**** to move.I used a piece of 1" black pipe (cheater bar) and moved it as much as I could but it moved forward after I got it set to what I wanted it set at.

please everyone, any and all help would be great. I hate to be the first to write a bad review on a product if there's something wrong with something other than the suspension. it seems that everyone that has gotten this LA system has been very impressed with the ride. maybe I did something wrong?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Did you say 35's on stock gears? That has got to be stressing the daylights out of your drive train. Did it have bad vibes before the LA? Did you have 35's on SA's??? That is the BIGGEST tire I ever heard on a stock geared XJ
Old 11-02-2012, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also call IRO. I wouldnt consider doing a 'bad review' until you know what's wrong AND speak to them. I called up there all the time with questions on my SYE and axle I bought of them. They had a tech guy answer the call and I never felt rushed off the phone. I can't imagine they won't know the right questions to ask you.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L I6

Suck for you, my turd rides great.

All gloating aside, your caster adjuster should move freely. It will have a bit of tension to be expected, it does have the load of the vehicles weight against it. I just use my long flat head and it moves fairly easy.

For the vibration, have you correctted your pinion angle? That pretty important. Also shackle relocation would also greatly aid in ride quality as much as the long arms
Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I found the ride to be much nicer than the RC I had before. What shocks did you get? I have always found the cheap white ones to be pretty terrible... especially when you get larger tires.

Vibrations can be caused by a ton of different things. Being as you said everything is good (joints, alignment etc) it is probably the angle of your front drive shaft. If you want to check it, take off the front D-shaft and drive it around for a bit and see if it helps. If it does, look into a double-cardian d-shaft (CV) from Tom Woods or the like. At 5.5 w/LA you should really have one anyways. I did not have any problems with the adjuster but I put mine in the middle before i put the lift on before installing the lift.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Vincenza V
Did you say 35's on stock gears? That has got to be stressing the daylights out of your drive train. Did it have bad vibes before the LA? Did you have 35's on SA's??? That is the BIGGEST tire I ever heard on a stock geared XJ
its not too bad. yea loss of power but still I cant complain. I got a hell of a deal on them and couldnt pass it up
Originally Posted by Vincenza V
I would also call IRO. I wouldnt consider doing a 'bad review' until you know what's wrong AND speak to them. I called up there all the time with questions on my SYE and axle I bought of them. They had a tech guy answer the call and I never felt rushed off the phone. I can't imagine they won't know the right questions to ask you.
trust me i dont want to write a bad review. i only would if it was truly a crappy product. yea the ride isnt great at the moment but I plan on fixing that because like I said it could be something I did wrong. hence me asking for your tips...
Originally Posted by Boost Happy
Suck for you, my turd rides great.

All gloating aside, your caster adjuster should move freely. It will have a bit of tension to be expected, it does have the load of the vehicles weight against it. I just use my long flat head and it moves fairly easy.

For the vibration, have you correctted your pinion angle? That pretty important. Also shackle relocation would also greatly aid in ride quality as much as the long arms
yea there is a bit of tension but it slides back to what it was after I take the pipe out. Is it supposed to do that? im clueless. and yes I am looking into shackle relocation boxes. my angle sucks
Originally Posted by Ianf406
I found the ride to be much nicer than the RC I had before. What shocks did you get? I have always found the cheap white ones to be pretty terrible... especially when you get larger tires.

Vibrations can be caused by a ton of different things. Being as you said everything is good (joints, alignment etc) it is probably the angle of your front drive shaft. If you want to check it, take off the front D-shaft and drive it around for a bit and see if it helps. If it does, look into a double-cardian d-shaft (CV) from Tom Woods or the like. At 5.5 w/LA you should really have one anyways. I did not have any problems with the adjuster but I put mine in the middle before i put the lift on before installing the lift.
I have the doetsch shocks. I think I might try what you said and take off the front drive shaft since I cant get the caster adjustment to stay in place. Ill see if that helps at all.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

How are your motor/trans mounts?
Old 11-02-2012, 11:23 PM

Once you position your adjuster where you want it, just snug down one of your 13mm bolts to lock it from moving before letting go.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

fix yo caster. as much as I am against that kit, i'm sure getting your caster in check will alleviate your issues (including front driveshaft vibrations).

if it didn't do this with the rough country longarms , it should be awful with that longarm.

You didn't choose much of a longarm to upgrade to either.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

Heard that low pinion d30 can't adjust as much as the high pinion? Could this be it?
Old 11-03-2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
fix yo caster. as much as I am against that kit, i'm sure getting your caster in check will alleviate your issues (including front driveshaft vibrations).

if it didn't do this with the rough country longarms , it should be awful with that longarm.

He didn't say he had rough country longarm.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
How are your motor/trans mounts?
they look fine. I cant really tell though. I mean they have been on the Jeep its entire life so im guessing thats in the works now.
Originally Posted by ktmracer419

first of all i never said I had RC LAs. and second I dont beat the hell out of my Jeep like you do with yours. from what I read from damn near all the reviews, this is a damn good upgrade. the issues Im having and just realizing after being under the jeep all last night and this morning is I have some things I have to fix on my Jeep. I did what someone suggested and I took off the front drive shaft thinking the pinion angle could be an issue and its PART of the issue. I have to dig around a little more and fix a couple more things and im positive that its going to fix my vibration issues. dont get me wrong, after dealing with the caster adjuster on the LAs I dont like it in the fear of it moving on me but it seems like thats nothing a little welding cant fix
Originally Posted by Barrelmaker
Heard that low pinion d30 can't adjust as much as the high pinion? Could this be it?
its a high pinion.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:52 PM

for everyone that has read this as a negative review... well its not. it was more like me looking for advice on why there were so many vibrations and noises. after I fix all the issues Ill come back and let you all know what I think about the lift.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost Happy
He didn't say he had rough country longarm.
Oh shoot. I thought i read that somewhere. But regardless, if it was fine before the upgrade, he shouldnt be having the issues he is describing now.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: Big 4.0L

thank you for posting all that you have ran into. I am looking for the pros and cons of iro. I do understand that this is not a bad review.

Quick Reply: Iron Rock 5.5" LA