Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a new aftermarket bumper questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default Installing a new aftermarket bumper questions

Hi! I am in the process of removing my front bumper from my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport which came off great and installing an aftermarket bumper.

I am installing Nate's 4x4 Jeep Cherokee recessed winch bumper. http://www.nates4x4.com/ProductDetai...oductCode=XJRW.

I have the rear installed which looks great. Both I painted in black.

I broke off one of the steering gear bolts (which I am now in the process of removing for the past 3 hours), which is normal I read in the forums after I broke the bolt.

Can I drive with 2 steering gear bolts (top and rear. Bottom is broken) if I do not get this removed and installed tonight? I have work tomorrow morning but only 10 miles away.

Do I remove the air dam after I install the bumper?

Do I remove the wheel well lining up to the frame as I no longer have the plastic bumper guards after I install the bumper?

Thank you in advance.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by CharlesUSMC
Hi! I am in the process of removing my front bumper from my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport which came off great and installing an aftermarket bumper.

I am installing Nate's 4x4 Jeep Cherokee recessed winch bumper. http://www.nates4x4.com/ProductDetai...oductCode=XJRW.

I have the rear installed which looks great. Both I painted in black.

I broke off one of the steering gear bolts (which I am now in the process of removing for the past 3 hours), which is normal I read in the forums after I broke the bolt.

Can I drive with 2 steering gear bolts (top and rear. Bottom is broken) if I do not get this removed and installed tonight? I have work tomorrow morning but only 10 miles away.

Do I remove the air dam after I install the bumper?

Do I remove the wheel well lining up to the frame as I no longer have the plastic bumper guards after I install the bumper?

Thank you in advance.
I can't say yes/no on driving, but there is a bit of torque put on the steering system. My suspicion is that if you do drive it, pick as straight a route as possible, and don't make hard turns. Probably avoid bumpy routes too.