Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a Lift soon RE 3.5"

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Installing a Lift soon RE 3.5"

Had this Jeep for almost a year now , Has needed new suspension on the rear so I decided to make it complicated and throw in a lift, should arrive shortly this week. I'm hoping I don't need a SYE and a simpler TC drop will do the trick.

The jeep has 66,000 miles on it , I don't think that this has ever had new ball joints or U joints done on the front axle or the drive shafts. It currently is problem free aside from lots of rear suspension chatters over pot holes.

I started soaking it in penetrating oil and found a broken U bolt on the sagging leaf spring.

I'm going to try and use the RE supplied relocation bracket for the trackbar replace ball joints and hope for the best.
Attached Thumbnails Installing a Lift soon RE 3.5"-dscf0959.jpg  
Old 06-26-2017, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

That lift nets about 4.5 inches from what I've read. At that height a t case drop is not going to cut it. But thus a nice jeep. low miles. How did you come to get it?
Old 06-26-2017, 02:18 PM

I bought it from a small dealer locally. A laddies name was on the tittle and just the one owner from new , looks like she had some small trouble before getting rid of it. When I went to look at it I notice the RAD is in bad shape and the Water Pump is brand new. I know these things are prone to over heating. I think the dealer ship convinced the previous owner to trade it, may have over heated has new front shocks too.

I just replaced the alternator, it walked and snapped the belt, new tension-er wheel while I was at it.

It still could use a RAD but its been just fine. The floors are not 100% but It's far from done if there not dealt with eventually it will become an issue.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:54 PM

I have a parked 94 YJ that has 33" and some lift not sure how much. frame is rotten its far gone. was wondering if there are drive-line parts that will help with my project. I thought i read they have a different front drive shaft its a CV style ? And maybe that jeep has a adj track bar on it or pitman arm i'd check now but its on a property an hour out, let me know thoughts.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:05 PM

your right mine will likely need a SYE I just read a sticky mentioning that 96+ came with a longer transfer case output housing this makes the angle greater as the rear end is essential closer to the slip yoke. I can do a Hack-n-Tap but will need a CV style drive shaft which I think must be purchased.
look at the whole I'm jumping into lol
Old 06-26-2017, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I have the same lift as you are doing. I put the sye in before anything cause I knew its needed. You will get more lift then advertised. Be sure of that. I ended up pulling a leaf out of mine cause it had a bad ride and was way too lifted. You may need to do the same. Depends how much weight over stock you have.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

I also have the same lift. After 5 years, I don't have much sagging.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:57 PM

Doing research my RE 3.5 kit still is not in yet,

I'm going to go with the Hack'n Tap from RE and source a front drive shaft from another XJ shorten lengthen if needed. I'd buy a custom one but there a lot more expensive in Canada after shipping and exchange.

I was looking at the YJ today and they just use U joints in the drive shafts no double cardion ? they must have a pile of problems when they lift ?

Also checked my YJ and seems like a stock track bar on it and it looked different and mounts in another location.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:57 PM

I put the RE 3.5" super ride kit on my 93 XJ. I opted to add the adjustable track bar because I didn't like the idea of drilling additional holes in the front axle. I was getting binding at the transfer case driveshaft u joint. A 1" T-case drop solved the binding but I'm getting a strange hum when I'm on the gas, so a SYE is due in the future.