Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Injector Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l V6
Default Injector Swap

Over the past few months, I've noticed that I've been losing fuel mileage. That being said, I know it's all about the smiles per gallon not miles per gallon. I drive my cherokee back and forth to college and kinda need it to get better than it's average 12-14 mpg and I saw where a couple individuals had swapped a 95 lincoln town car set of injectors into their jeep and I was just wondering if anyone on here had attempted/succeeded in the swap. They claim to be getting anywhere from 19-26 hwy mpg. Thanks in advance
Old 03-14-2017, 08:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

For starters 26 mpg sounds kinda like BS but who knows, I'm in the same boat driving my xj to and from college classes so I feel your pain. But before swapping injectors I'd first try things like cleaning the throttle body and changing the air filter and spark plugs. I've even heard some people claim worse mpgs with different injectors but who knows, anyway here is a chart that might help you figure out what injectors you need, in my experience the mod that helps mpg best is a light right foot.
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2017, 06:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

there is a lot to getting better mileage then just swapping injectors. I did that about 2 years ago almost and have not noticed an increase in mileage. What other mods do you have on the jeep now. if it is lifted with bigger tires then you need to correct the gear ratio first because that will be the biggest mileage killer. Also if you are lifted just that alone will decrease your mileage just because of the lager cross section of the jeep and the increased weight. the best way to get better mileage in an XJ is to leave it stock and make sure that the maintenance is up to par. You could also reduce some of the weight of the jeep too, by removing unneeded items for the longer trips. Just a few Ideas for thought.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Upgrading the injectors wont generally give you better gas mileage. the most common upgrade is the dodge neon 4 hole injectors. They will spray the same amount of gas (possibly a tad more) but because they use 4 holes instead of one they atomize the gas better so you get better combustion which results in a smoother idle and slightly quicker off idle response. Your best bet is to start training your right foot not to go as far. You are right in the general median for city driving in a Cherokee. There's not much more you can do other than spark plugs (you dont mention the year but depending on which you should also change your cap, rotor and wires. if they haven't been done in a while.) Fuel filter should be changed with the injectors should you go that route, actually it should be changed before that to see if you notice a difference. The 4.0L was never intended to be an extra economical engine. If you can pull out 15 MPG be thrilled. If thats not good enough you may want to think about a crappy 4 cylinder beater, civic, corola, sentra etc.