Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need to order new steering today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Default I need to order new steering today!!!

ALL of my steering joints are completely shot, and I see this as my chance to upgrade. I need to order something today in order to have the Jeep ready for the MOT inspection in about 2 weeks!! I am ok with relocating the swaybar mounts, trimming the coil buckets if need be, and drilling the knuckles for bigger joints.

I have been looking at the Froehlich crossover OTK, but he wont email me back about shipping. The IRO OTK seems to be used a lot and IRO has a good reputation, but the draglink below the tierod is kinda weird. I see a lot of people having diff clearance issues with the JCR kit, and all of the parts ive got from them never really fit right. The rugged ridge kit is all bolt-on, but ive heard it is a bit weak. The currie Correctlync looks nice but its so expensive!

Please help!!! I need to get an order put in by the end of today!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:19 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

I was going to run the IRO steering but the thing that turns me off about it is the locknuts instead of a castlenut and cotterpin. I like the JCR steering and think that I may end up running that. I will be running OX lockers so hopefully I wont have clearance issues other have seen.

I wouldn't run the Currie steering...the inverted Y... just could be a better setup in my opinion.

If IRO offered their kit with castlenuts... I would be on it in a second.

I was also really considering Serious offroad steering... check them out. I believe you get a discount too for being a member here.

Anywho...
Old 02-28-2013, 01:25 AM

I can grab new bolts, castle nuts, and cotter pins from work.Thats not really an issue for me. Is that all that would hold you back from the IRO kit?

It would be really nice to have a steering stabilizer just incase, and I know my wife would like if I put a swaybar back on lol which the IRO lets you keep all that
Old 02-28-2013, 01:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

If you can't decide on your own you shouldn't put a "need to buy today" timeline on this decision.

Educate yourself so you know what your getting into. And don't expect overnight results.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:34 AM

The only other thing I am uneasy about with the IRO kit is the single shear setup on the passenger side knuckle, but from what I have read, nobody has had a problem with it so I guess it is ok.

I will most likely end up buying the IRO kit and maybe I will just do as you mentioned and get different bolts and all that.

I haven't read about anyone having clearance issues with the setup as long as it was set up correctly.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
If you can't decide on your own you shouldn't put a "need to buy today" timeline on this decision.

Educate yourself so you know what your getting into. And don't expect overnight results.
Ive actually been researching everything I can about steering options for a few months now. I've learned there are a lot of compamies offering kits, ive read almost every install thread, read countless reviews, talked to a few companies, and have learned a lot lately.

I just wanted dome "HELPFUL" info about about what I should really get, personal experiences, and any other info tech info really.

Anyway, back on topic. I really like the Froehlich OTK kit. Being able to run it in OTK or UTk with just moving around some parts is neat. I would run it in UTK for now until I can get a new track bar mount. The only problem is they wont email me back about APO shipping
Old 02-28-2013, 01:50 AM

You could send it to an address in the states and then have them ship it to your APO address.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Poloboy406
You could send it to an address in the states and then have them ship it to your APO address.

You sir... might be a genius!!!! lol
Old 02-28-2013, 06:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll be happy to ship to an APO.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I got back to you today. Sorry that it took a little time, to be honest I am a little embarassed because I didnt know what an APO was. lol

I emailed you asking if you would like us to ship the kit you ordered to your APO address instead.

Thanks for your business,
Kris Froehlich
Old 02-28-2013, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by 91XJMudMan
Ive actually been researching everything I can about steering options for a few months now. I've learned there are a lot of compamies offering kits, ive read almost every install thread, read countless reviews, talked to a few companies, and have learned a lot lately.

I just wanted dome "HELPFUL" info about about what I should really get, personal experiences, and any other info tech info really.

Anyway, back on topic. I really like the Froehlich OTK kit. Being able to run it in OTK or UTk with just moving around some parts is neat. I would run it in UTK for now until I can get a new track bar mount. The only problem is they wont email me back about APO shipping
I apologize if I came off wrong, I didn't mean to imply you didn't know about steering.

Its just that most folks who know the in's and out's of steering typically know what they want.

Not to mention, this is an internet forum. Not all our users can make it on daily. You can't expect to get the best answer possible the same second you post a question.

Sometimes it takes a day or two.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:49 PM

I'v had zero problems with my 1ton kit from serious off road, its really beefy
Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
I'll be happy to ship to an APO.
I do like your steering kit from what I read online, but I am really in the market for a kit with heims. Thanks for the APO offer though, Ill keep that in mind for other things I will need down the road
Old 03-01-2013, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
I apologize if I came off wrong, I didn't mean to imply you didn't know about steering.

Its just that most folks who know the in's and out's of steering typically know what they want.

Not to mention, this is an internet forum. Not all our users can make it on daily. You can't expect to get the best answer possible the same second you post a question.

Sometimes it takes a day or two.
I usually dont reply like that. I dont know where that came from lol Ive seen you all over the forum and can see youre a good knowledgeable dude.

And I realize people dont come on every day, but it was worth a shot to try to get quick answers
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lead Foot
I got back to you today. Sorry that it took a little time, to be honest I am a little embarassed because I didnt know what an APO was. lol

I emailed you asking if you would like us to ship the kit you ordered to your APO address instead.

Thanks for your business,
Kris Froehlich
Hell ya!!!! I emailed you back last night. please send it to my APO!! That will save a lot of shipping time, and a ton of money on my end.

btw... I CANT WAIT TO GET YOUR STEERING INSTALLED!!!!!! IT JUST LOOKS SO BEASTLY!!!!!!

sorry, I had to get that out

one last question for you. Will your steering kit let me turn lock to lock in the UTK setup? Im thinking a Crane diff cover too, which could make it even worse

Quick Reply: I need to order new steering today!!!