Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help with a Strange noise...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default I need help with a Strange noise...

alright i got a 00 cherokee running a rubicon express 3.5 inch lift, and the front end is popping everytime I take a corner... ive checked the trackbar, its tight, ive installed a steering box brace, and had the balljoints checked my my mechanic friend and a dealer mechanic. all of the tierods are brand new... idk whats even left.

ive read many many times that the frame around there gets very stressed and cracked. could that be it? if so how do i fix that for a decent price?

thanks
Old 12-01-2011, 11:55 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: I6 4.0

make sure none of your steering in binding, also I had this problem twice on an old xj. Both times the steering box itself was going out.
Made a loud popping noise and the steering wheel would bind a little ,depending on the weather.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:18 AM

i mean its and old tired jeep, i don't notice binding but if you go over a bump it will also pop. ive gotten under there like a dozen times and couldn't find anything.

i usually avoid making a new thread on here and try to just search as much as possible but this was a very specific question. im trying to be as descriptive as possible but i really am clueless as to what it could be.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Did you also take a look at your ujoints while down there? That can also be a cause
Old 12-02-2011, 01:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L I6

wild shot in te dark here but... did u check bushings and joints on ur control arms? i know mine were shot and made sorta a clunking noise. also, ine of my shocks came loose at the top bolt part, and clunked over bumps.... eh?
Old 12-02-2011, 01:59 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: I6 4.0

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
Did you also take a look at your ujoints while down there? That can also be a cause

Originally Posted by tomborsari
wild shot in te dark here but... did u check bushings and joints on ur control arms? i know mine were shot and made sorta a clunking noise. also, ine of my shocks came loose at the top bolt part, and clunked over bumps.... eh?
Both sound like good suggestions as well. Make sure you go over every connection point in the front end. The CA bushings can wear out quickly due to the increased angle and pressure from the lift, giving you a lot of play.

Check the set screws in the flex joints as well, if they came out the retaining plate could start backing itself out too. That would most likely make a banging sound under the frame but hey anything is possible. Oh and sorry I forgot to spell check the last post lol.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:21 AM

thanks for the help guys... im gunna go through everything and check. it does have new U joints on it by the way. i just have a strange feeling that the trackbar bracket is the thing flexing around.