Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a front end noises. This it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 07:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default I have a front end noises. This it?***** Fixed ********

So I have a clunk when going over bumps at about 10 miles an hour. I also have the same clunk noise in four-wheel-drive taking off from a dead stop.I’ve checked around the front end the shocks, ball joints control arms etc.

I live on A rock road and it makes the worst noise on those fast uneven bumps. When I’m driving on the concrete I don’t hear it at all.

When I wiggle the U joint it definitely makes a tapping sound but it seems like the tap is coming from the shaft not the u joint.

The noise seems to follow the shock up-and-down movement. If the shock is moving fast up and down I hear And feel the noise. If I’m on the highway and things are relatively smooth I don’t hear it at all
here is a video

Last edited by Eric Guess; 10-31-2019 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

check sway bar end links for play..or just disconnect both sides, tie up out of the way, and go for a drive
Old 10-23-2019, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by TRCM
check sway bar end links for play..or just disconnect both sides, tie up out of the way, and go for a drive
i wish that was the issue. all new end links and bushings
Old 10-24-2019, 07:46 AM

ok, so let me try and explain what i found.

I grabbed the U Joint at the front axle that attaches to the TC. I turned it side to side and found play in the passenger side axle

So when the u joint is turned side to side by hand, i have a half inch play side to side with a clunk, but the axle does not turn. It seems to only clunking against the passenger side axle.

As if the axle is missing a spline and there is a gap before if grabs

I hope this made sense.

Should i pull the diff cover and look?
Old 10-24-2019, 04:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

i'd think it's more likely the u- joint itself needing replacement
Old 10-25-2019, 08:54 AM

ok, so i think i found it. The wheel hub assembly has some excessive play in it. In theory it makes sense because i hear/feel it when i hit fast bumps and in 4wd take off from a stop. I also looks to be original at 164K miles.

I will change and report back. thanks everyone
Old 10-28-2019, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

New to the forum. Thought someone may benefit from my mistakes. I had a clunk in the front end of my 2000 xj for the past 3 plus months that was driving me nuts trying to locate. Spent hours under the Jeep and hours online. Found a number of possibilities. Checked ball joints, tie rod ends, u-joints (replaced one this weekend) sway bar bushings, track bar etc., without success. Noise seemed to be more frequent for perhaps I was just getting more agitated....anyway, I think it was remedied today. Did a homemade frame stiffener and a plate may have been rubbing on the sway bar. Cut that piece off (too specific, I know to be of any help to anyone else). Other steps (one of which seems to have worked)…..I had a sway bar bushing bolt that was stripped out so I welded one end of the loose end bushing mount to the frame. I will cut it out if I need to replace the bushing in the future. I had recently installed leveling pucks and one of the coil spring retainer clip bolt holes was stripped out. Rather than tap it, I just welded the retaining clip on. I will probably never have the coil spring off again, realizing welding may not have been the best idea, but frustration led to the welding. Also retightened the steering box bolts as I had recently swapped the steering box. One of the above, or perhaps a combination seems to have solved the problem. Very frustrating process and hope someone else may be able to benefit.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by shudson
New to the forum. Thought someone may benefit from my mistakes. I had a clunk in the front end of my 2000 xj for the past 3 plus months that was driving me nuts trying to locate. Spent hours under the Jeep and hours online. Found a number of possibilities. Checked ball joints, tie rod ends, u-joints (replaced one this weekend) sway bar bushings, track bar etc., without success. Noise seemed to be more frequent for perhaps I was just getting more agitated....anyway, I think it was remedied today. Did a homemade frame stiffener and a plate may have been rubbing on the sway bar. Cut that piece off (too specific, I know to be of any help to anyone else). Other steps (one of which seems to have worked)…..I had a sway bar bushing bolt that was stripped out so I welded one end of the loose end bushing mount to the frame. I will cut it out if I need to replace the bushing in the future. I had recently installed leveling pucks and one of the coil spring retainer clip bolt holes was stripped out. Rather than tap it, I just welded the retaining clip on. I will probably never have the coil spring off again, realizing welding may not have been the best idea, but frustration led to the welding. Also retightened the steering box bolts as I had recently swapped the steering box. One of the above, or perhaps a combination seems to have solved the problem. Very frustrating process and hope someone else may be able to benefit.
ok so i found my driver side spring retainer clip stripped out also. Does the coil spring actually move up and down with out the spring retainer clip causing a clunk? i would have thought under a load there was now way it would pull away from the control arm
Old 10-28-2019, 04:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

I would doubt the retainer clip is the issue, no, it most likely doesn't let the coil move. But Im not sure.
I would triple check the sway bar links again. Look real close while using a bar or something to pry on it. I had a 'new' ones go in about 2 months.
Also, check have you replaced the ball joints or just think they are ok? you have to lift the tire and pry up on it while watching them with a good flashlight, not your smart phone.
I also doubt the hub it making noise. if bad your steering may be slushy or you would hear a bearing howl or squeek.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by 97grand4.0
I would doubt the retainer clip is the issue, no, it most likely doesn't let the coil move. But Im not sure.
I would triple check the sway bar links again. Look real close while using a bar or something to pry on it. I had a 'new' ones go in about 2 months.
Also, check have you replaced the ball joints or just think they are ok? you have to lift the tire and pry up on it while watching them with a good flashlight, not your smart phone.
I also doubt the hub it making noise. if bad your steering may be slushy or you would hear a bearing howl or squeek.
crap, I was excited i found the bad hub. I hope thats the noise.

I am replacing all the steering with Moog V8 WJ components also.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:13 PM

Fixed

case closed.

thanks everyone

Last edited by Eric Guess; 10-31-2019 at 11:39 PM.