Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How strong is a hitch-mounted winch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I-6
Default How strong is a hitch-mounted winch?

Hi Guys,

Here's what I'm thinking: Draw-Tite Front & Rear class III receivers, mounted per instructions, Warn 8k lb winch, Warn winch mounting plate for mounting the winch in the receivers w/ a good quality-brand hitch pin. Wiring's easy.

I want to do it this way for several reasons:
1) With winch inside the Jeep, I get better approach/departure angles
2) When I'm not in Moab, I can keep my winch in my garage, out of the weather
3) No winch + no aftermarket bumper = much less weight when the Jeep's in daily driver mode
4) Ability to use winch front and back with ease
5) I tend to avoid mud and snow, so it should rarely be a pain for me to hook the winch up

Anywho, what I would like to know is if this type of setup would be significantly weaker than a full-on bumper-mounted setup. If I'm in a situation like at the end of Upper Helldorado (not that I'm ready for that trail yet), where basically the full weight of my Jeep must be hoisted up an 8' rock wall by my winch, I'd like to know whether I can expect this type of setup to hold together.

If you have first-hand experience with this, please speak up!

Thanks for all your input.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Hitch mounted winches work but I personally am not a fan of them. A bumper can be substantially stronger depending on what you go with. I also like that when its mounted 100% of the time you have access to it quickly in a emergency and it won't take up cargo room or need to be lugged around.
Additionally a hitch is designed to be used in a straight line or close to it, so what if you need to do a angled pull like 75° or something.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Like already stated a straight pull would be fine but an angled pull would put a lot of stress on the hitch and cradle. Also consider that when you need it you'll have to lug around close to 80-100 pounds depending on winch and cradle. What if you're on an incline and can't back up. Lining up the 2" receiver while balancing the weight possibly up pretty high could be a bit hard.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:39 AM

Use a ****** block.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one. Rarely do I use the winch so I prefer keeping it out of the elements. It is heavy, if you get synthetic rope it will help out, I'll probably end up changing out my steel cable for synthetic as it's about 85lbs right now and it would be nice if it was lighter. Use a ****** block to make angled pulls straight. If you are going to use it often on the trails, I'd probably get a permanent bumper mounted winch instead. To run the cable to the back, you need significant wiring that can handle the long run with heavy current load.
I also have "quick detach" wiring that just hooks to the terminals on the battery so the cable is out of the elements too with quick connects for forklift batteries to the winch.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:44 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I-6

Hmmmmm... you've reminded me just how heavy winches are. I've got some rethinking to do. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2014, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I have mine in a basket. It's an Engoe9000s in a TMaxx basket. have a JCR front bumper with hitch and the draw tight for the rear. This winter I have had to winch a suburban, an expedition, several light trucks/cars, one f-250 and has drug my jeep for a few miles of deep snow. Everything has held up great! Sideways/straight no problems!

I use two sealed welding connectors front and rear ( twist in type) so it only takes about 30 second to open the hatch, pull it out, get it in the hitch and plug it in. It's not very heavy if you get a basket with handles. (I have synthetic) I like keeping the winch out of the elements/being able to lock it up but mostly having it front or rear. Really helps out.

I was somewhat worried about it but after pulling much heavier stuff out of some steep hills/deep snow, this will never break due to my jeep. I prefer it in the basket over on the bumper like my previous Jeeps. Don't even have to carry it around in the summer if you are not wheeling!

Last edited by Ianf406; 03-04-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

I like the idea of being able to put it in the front or back and only carry the weight of a single winch. But yeah the hassle and storage probably outweighs the pro for me too.

I heard and idea of center mounting it with some kind of system and guide that could either go out the front or rear. But yeah I probably wouldn't do that either. If you need a rear pull that bad then your buddy can pull you out. I've never seen a situation where that didn't work.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Originally Posted by McCaffrey
I like the idea of being able to put it in the front or back and only carry the weight of a single winch. But yeah the hassle and storage probably outweighs the pro for me too.

I heard and idea of center mounting it with some kind of system and guide that could either go out the front or rear. But yeah I probably wouldn't do that either. If you need a rear pull that bad then your buddy can pull you out. I've never seen a situation where that didn't work.
It is nice in deep snow (and happens alot for us) first guy goes through.. Second guy follows suit making ruts a little deeper, third guy goes too deep and gets stuck. If you pull with a strap, both vehicles get deeper in snow and stuck. Winch pulls them right through and clears path for 4th etc. Granted there are not many situations like that in most of the country. Have had to use the rear only once pulling out another car ( not 4x4) too icy for traction to pull.. He slid off the interstate at an exit ramp so I couldn't really turn around.

I think both ways have their advantages. It's not that hard to hook it up but not as easy as one already mounted. Does take up a little storage room. Pulling from the rear, keeping it out of the elements, not having to have the extra weight 247 are the advantages. Don't think you have to worry about it breaking.

Last edited by Ianf406; 03-04-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:25 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ianf406
I have mine in a basket. It's an Engoe9000s in a TMaxx basket. have a JCR front bumper with hitch and the draw tight for the rear. This winter I have had to winch a suburban, an expedition, several light trucks/cars, one f-250 and has drug my jeep for a few miles of deep snow. Everything has held up great! Sideways/straight no problems!

I use two sealed welding connectors front and rear ( twist in type) so it only takes about 30 second to open the hatch, pull it out, get it in the hitch and plug it in. It's not very heavy if you get a basket with handles. (I have synthetic) I like keeping the winch out of the elements/being able to lock it up but mostly having it front or rear. Really helps out.

I was somewhat worried about it but after pulling much heavier stuff out of some steep hills/deep snow, this will never break due to my jeep. I prefer it in the basket over on the bumper like my previous Jeeps. Don't even have to carry it around in the summer if you are not wheeling!
Is your wiring to the back permanent? If so how did you run it?
Old 03-04-2014, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Yup its permanent. I ran mine down the passenger side along the unibody, over the gas tank and down to the hitch. Secured it with a few strips of banded metal and small screws. My father (JK)/ grandfather (TJ) both ran it down the drivers side frame. One buddy with a scout has it ran on the inside and then out.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

Once I get my stiffeners on, I will probably use the top (round) part of a wire clamp (bolt together ones) and tac weld those to the stiffeners with the wire inside. Maybe 5 of them along the unibody. Just need it to be warm enough for paint to dry.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:55 AM

Year: 99

Originally Posted by mr white
I have one. Rarely do I use the winch so I prefer keeping it out of the elements. It is heavy, if you get synthetic rope it will help out, I'll probably end up changing out my steel cable for synthetic as it's about 85lbs right now and it would be nice if it was lighter. Use a ****** block to make angled pulls straight. If you are going to use it often on the trails, I'd probably get a permanent bumper mounted winch instead. To run the cable to the back, you need significant wiring that can handle the long run with heavy current load.
I also have "quick detach" wiring that just hooks to the terminals on the battery so the cable is out of the elements too with quick connects for forklift batteries to the winch.
We prefer quick connects. It also allows you to use jumper cables on front and rear of your vehicle.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ianf406
Yup its permanent. I ran mine down the passenger side along the unibody, over the gas tank and down to the hitch. Secured it with a few strips of banded metal and small screws. My father (JK)/ grandfather (TJ) both ran it down the drivers side frame. One buddy with a scout has it ran on the inside and then out.
Oh on the outside... Hmmm that may work better than the inside like I was thinking. Right now it's just an "extension" cord basically that I sling over the mirror and back. I guess if I need to put it on someone else's rig to pull me that way then the "extension cord" might be optimum.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:36 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO

I have a Tomken front bumper w/ 2" receiver, Tomken winch plate ( which you can order with handles ( metal ) JSYK ) and a RR 8.5 winch. Now I just got the winch and Ullr ( Gawd of snow ) hasn't been friendly enough to give me some bad weather to test things out, but I know it's solid
****** blocks are MONEY!!! With a couple ****** blocks and shackles ( and trees in front and back ) you can get a " reverse pull " without any need for taking your winch to the back of your jeep. I do plan on switching front to back after I can afford wiring ( $200 ) to run to the back just in case the nearest tree is further away from the back then the reverse pull can reach
Get a winch cover, that should take pretty good care of you winch being in the elements. There only like $20. I'm making one myself out of a old gore-tex bivy. Simple enough

Quick Reply: How strong is a hitch-mounted winch?