Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default HID wiring question

I purchased an H4 hid kit. It came with everything however there are 2 wires which are a positive and negative. I just got the low beam HID kit cause I didnt want the High beam.

Knowing that the stock h4 plug has 3 slots, my question is where does the positive side and negative side go?

Anyone thats had HID's or knows please chime in.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Your stock connector has a ground and power leads for high and low. If your plan is to use the HID on low, figure out which is ON with low beam and use it.

Do you have a VOM and know how to use it? Verify that your ground has very low resistance, and check the voltage at your light connector and compare to directly across the battery posts.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by excess650
Your stock connector has a ground and power leads for high and low. If your plan is to use the HID on low, figure out which is ON with low beam and use it.

Do you have a VOM and know how to use it? Verify that your ground has very low resistance, and check the voltage at your light connector and compare to directly across the battery posts.
Thanks for the info just wish I knew how to use a voltmeter. Damn this sucks. I thought it would be easier than this but I think its just me.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

HID isn't OEM. Moved to Advanced Tech.

Volt meters are pretty easy to use. They should even come with instructions because most, if not all, are multi function.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by usaf_mike
Thanks for the info just wish I knew how to use a voltmeter. Damn this sucks. I thought it would be easier than this but I think its just me.
OK, so IF you don't even have a VOM, try this:

Run a wire from ground, whether it be the ground post on the battery, or a chasis ground and connect it (temporarily) to one of the leads on your HID kit...probably black. Connect another wire to the other lead on your HID kit and run it to one of the connectors in your stock headlight socket. Turn the headlight switch ON. If you've connected ground to ground, your HID won't light. If you've found power, as in you HID lit, is it the high or low? There are only 3 sockets in the OEM connector, so its a process of elimination.

In that you are trying to work on an XJ, you should get a VOM and learn to use it. Most of the new VOMs are digital and auto range and relatively inexpensive. The commonly used settings are AC volts, DC volts, and resistance.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:04 AM

Run a wire from ground, whether it be the ground post on the battery, or a chasis ground and connect it (temporarily) to one of the leads on your HID kit...probably black. Connect another wire to the other lead on your HID kit and run it to one of the connectors in your stock headlight socket. Turn the headlight switch ON. If you've connected ground to ground, your HID won't light. If you've found power, as in you HID lit, is it the high or low? There are only 3 sockets in the OEM connector, so its a process of elimination.

In that you are trying to work on an XJ, you should get a VOM and learn to use it. Most of the new VOMs are digital and auto range and relatively inexpensive. The commonly used settings are AC volts, DC volts, and resistance.

Never thought of that. Let me try this today and see what happens.

I really appreciate the help.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 PM

UPDATE:
got some help from a buddy to check the wires with a VOM. Found which one is low beam and wired it up.

When I turned the lights on there is a strange ticking noise coming from inside the car. I then switched the wiring to the high beam and it works with no ticking but I have to turn the high beam on for my lights to turn on.

ANY IDEAS as to what is the problem. I checked the fuses and they seem to be fine.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8
[quote=usaf_mike;1063081]UPDATE:
got some help from a buddy to check the wires with a VOM. Found which one is low beam and wired it up.

When I turned the lights on there is a strange ticking noise coming from inside the car. I then switched the wiring to the high beam and it works with no ticking but I have to turn the high beam on for my lights to turn on.

ANY IDEAS as to what is the problem. I checked the fuses and they seem to be

Wow I typed a big thing but read it wrong...

So theyre working good on the high setting wiring, but just click when wired into the lows?

Last edited by storm101; 06-28-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:31 PM
aj6
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

uasf mike, if you are going to run full time HIDs look in to a relay kit.. it will work and run alot better with one
Old 06-29-2011, 06:40 AM

[quote=storm101;1063362]
UPDATE:

ANY IDEAS as to what is the problem. I checked the fuses and they seem to be

Wow I typed a big thing but read it wrong...

So theyre working good on the high setting wiring, but just click when wired into the lows?

Yea they work fine when I plug them into the high beam but when I connect them to the low it start clicking/ticking after I turn them off in the low setting. Its really weird

Originally Posted by aj6
uasf mike, if you are going to run full time HIDs look in to a relay kit.. it will work and run alot better with one
Are you running an HID kit with a relay?
Old 06-29-2011, 08:30 AM
aj6
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

Are you running an HID kit with a relay?

yes.. well i did, i used to have a full HID setup then got mad at it and took them out.. but with my time with them i should of bough a relay kit when i first got them
Old 06-29-2011, 04:16 PM

Update:

pulled the headlight delay relay and it works now without any clicking or ticking. Thanks for all the help