Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.oL
Default HID Lights

I want Some bright *** HIDs. How do you do the conversion and around what ballpark am I gonna be spending? What are some brands you use?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

To do it right or do it cheap?

To do it cheap (and likely illegal given many local laws) you can get generic housings on ebay which are listed as "projectors" but in reality aren't. They throw the light all over and blind oncoming drivers...

Think something like this... http://www.ebay.com/itm/SQUARE-BLACK...sories&vxp=mtr

To do it right you need to get true projector housings and that's a bit more spendy...
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/6054-200mm...-p/xd-6054.htm

You can get very good light output from upgrading your wiring harness, putting in ecode H4 housings, and using good quality H4 bulbs without blinding oncoming traffic or attracting police attention.

Now some people will for sure jump in this thread and say "I use cheap housings and have no problems..."

I've been blinded by too many idiots with improper lighting setups and would love to be able to ticket them myself but I'm forced to hope the police ticket them into submission...
Old 10-19-2011, 03:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

www.norcalmr2.com - excellent customer service but plan to spend ~$200
Old 10-19-2011, 05:19 PM

Engine: 4.oL

Originally Posted by xjsnake
To do it right or do it cheap?

To do it cheap (and likely illegal given many local laws) you can get generic housings on ebay which are listed as "projectors" but in reality aren't. They throw the light all over and blind oncoming drivers...

Think something like this... http://www.ebay.com/itm/SQUARE-BLACK...sories&vxp=mtr

To do it right you need to get true projector housings and that's a bit more spendy...
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/6054-200mm...-p/xd-6054.htm

You can get very good light output from upgrading your wiring harness, putting in ecode H4 housings, and using good quality H4 bulbs without blinding oncoming traffic or attracting police attention.

Now some people will for sure jump in this thread and say "I use cheap housings and have no problems..."

I've been blinded by too many idiots with improper lighting setups and would love to be able to ticket them myself but I'm forced to hope the police ticket them into submission...
Thanks, Exactly what I wanted to know!
Old 10-19-2011, 05:32 PM
CF Veteran

you can get HID reflector (yes, reflector not projector) housings also which ARE intended for HID use, but most of those you are likely going to need to find them out of a stock headlight at the JY and modify them to fit in your stock housings.

The more legit way is to get HID projectors and modify those into your housings.

PLEASE for the love of god dont just put HIDs in a standard reflector or projector housing
Old 10-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: Inline 6

Screw projectors!!!! this isn't a Honda import crap your upgrading.
here is what you get,
get a set of delta conversion light like this.. http://deltatechindustries.com/site/01-1249-50X

then get a set of HID kit of your choice and end of story. this is exactly what i bought and have never looked back!