Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Conversion Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default HID Conversion Question

I have a 1999 Cherokee Sport and was wondering if I would need to buy a 35w or 55w conversion system.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

That all depends how bright you want it. But you should get an upgraded harness FIRST before putting in HIDs. Like this one: http://www.eautoworks.com/Putco-H4--...s-PRD7540.aspx
Old 10-23-2012, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Are there any highly recommended guides for HID conversions? I'm sure I could find something if I search, which I will later, I just have to run out in a bit. Been contemplating upgrading my headlights, so HID might be a way to go.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

I'd suggest buying the harness and putting it in first with your stock bulbs and then deciding if you want HIDs or not, since you'll need the harness with HIDs anyway.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:16 PM

Oh please tell me you're not putting HID's in housings designed for halogen bulbs. The glare is awful and extremely blinding/dangerous to other drivers.

Without projector housings with a proper cut-off or a properly designed reflector housing (these are EXTREMELY rare) you'll simply be blinding everyone else on the road. PLEASE don't do this without doing it right.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Year: 99
Engine: 4ho

If you decide to do it let me know. I sell quality HIDs, off road lights, LED light bars and just about every LED on the planet for 12v or residential.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
That all depends how bright you want it. But you should get an upgraded harness FIRST before putting in HIDs. Like this one: http://www.eautoworks.com/Putco-H4--...s-PRD7540.aspx
Thank you for the response, will definitely get this first and see how I like it.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Trumpster
Oh please tell me you're not putting HID's in housings designed for halogen bulbs. The glare is awful and extremely blinding/dangerous to other drivers.

Without projector housings with a proper cut-off or a properly designed reflector housing (these are EXTREMELY rare) you'll simply be blinding everyone else on the road. PLEASE don't do this without doing it right.
I am not. I found a projector housing online that I will be purchasing.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

they dont make a projector housing H4 conversion. if your talking about these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-7X...97afae&vxp=mtr

then your fooled. they are just a faux projector over the lens and it only hinders output.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
they dont make a projector housing H4 conversion. if your talking about these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-7X...97afae&vxp=mtr

then your fooled. they are just a faux projector over the lens and it only hinders output.
Thanks for that information. Would something like this work with an HID conversion?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-X6-H6052-S...0bb63b&vxp=mtr
Old 10-24-2012, 08:38 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

nope you would have to retrofit an actual projector into the housing. like this:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f58/he...roject-116069/
Old 10-24-2012, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: I6

I have ran 35W HIDs in all my vehicles lifted and lowered, properly adjusted housings are fine. I have never been flashed once for my lights in the 3 years Iv had hids. People go on and on about Proper housings and projectors only but have they ever actually tried it or are they reading in to it online and spreading what they read.. I look at this the same way as the whole D35 will blow up as soon as you drive it thing. People who lift their trucks without adjusting the headlights with standard halogen bulbs are just as dangerous. with that being said the whole you need a harness to run HIDs I don't buy, yes its a good upgrade and cheap insurance but the truth is that most HIDs on the market use less power than halogen bulbs. Should you have it, that's up to you, but do you absolutely need it no.

PROPERLY ADJUST YOUR HOUSINGS PEOPLE!

Last edited by The_ocho; 10-24-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

Originally Posted by The_ocho
I have ran 35W HIDs in all my vehicles lifted and lowered, properly adjusted housings are fine. I have never been flashed once for my lights in the 3 years Iv had hids. People go on and on about Proper housings and projectors only but have they ever actually tried it or are they reading in to it online and spreading what they read.. I look at this the same way as the whole D35 will blow up as soon as you drive it thing. People who lift their trucks without adjusting the headlights with standard halogen bulbs are just as dangerous.

PROPERLY ADJUST YOUR HOUSINGS PEOPLE!
x2. i ran 6k HIDs for about 6 months and never had complaints from friends in front of me or anything. took them out because the kit i got had some cheap/****ty wire connections. hope to get new, better ones soon.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:10 PM

I've been on the other end of HIDs in (improper) reflector housings more times than I can count and they're ALL annoying and dangerous. Some more than others, but if they're not designed right they have way too much glare. Yes overly bright/high wattage halogen bulbs can be dangerous as well, no arguments there.

A proper beam pattern with a proper cutoff would be doing things right to not blind other drivers and concentrate the light output to where you want it. If this were not the case then there wouldn't be different housings from OEMs for their standard halogen bulb headlights and the vehicles running Xenon bulbs.

A good example of this is my buddy's old Mini Cooper; he dropped HIDs in the factory housing designed for halogen bulbs and aimed them down and they were still so bright that I couldn't drive in front of him at night. Newer Mini Coopers with the factory Xenons come in projector housings with a proper beam pattern and cutoff, no problems driving head on with them or with them behind me.

You won't ever get me to believe that the housings don't matter. I've had too many first hand experiences being blinded on the road by oncoming vehicles and done a lot of research on it and it makes a difference.

Sorry if that pulled a bit OT but I just hate being blinded...

Happy wheeling and GL with whatever path you choose.