Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hid conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default hid conversion

Ive already done the h4 harness conversion, some time ago. I have an h4 hid set thats in route. Do i use my h4 harness, or do i omit it and just run off the stock wiring?
Old 02-06-2017, 04:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Use the harness. Depending on year and options, you may need an anti flicker harness too. I did for my 92
Old 02-06-2017, 08:25 PM

Im running mine on factory wiring. Technically it shouldnt work but for me it is and has been workin about 4 months.

IF you already have an upgrade harnessI would definitely use it.

I'll eventually get around to building a relay harness for mine. Lack of access to good relays has held me back. I have only found painless wiring to make a relay that looks like it may be a good product but they are expensive @ around $50 each.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you get new headlights that have projectors in them ?
Old 02-06-2017, 08:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Specifically HID projectors. Halogen projectors exist, and they are not the same as HID projectors.

See https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/headlights-203245/ to learn more.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:07 PM

I just bought the vision X glass housings. I wanted light output, not concerned about what looks cool.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by joshua99ta
I just bought the vision X glass housings. I wanted light output, not concerned about what looks cool.
It's not about what looks cool it's about what is legal and safe for other drivers. People like you is the reason my 50 inch light bar sees any action.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:33 PM
CF Veteran

Throwing hids in a Halogen housing will blind people and in most states adding hids to anything that didn't have them factory is illegal.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:39 AM

it helps a lot when they are aimed lower. I've never heard of an HID specific projector until now.

Mississippi doesnt care.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:50 AM
CF Veteran

With out the right headlight housings your blinding people no matter how you aim them.And yes your state does care just because you never got a ticket yet don't make it legal.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

it helps a lot when they are aimed lower. I've never heard of an HID specific projector until now.

Mississippi doesnt care.
Every vehicle thats equipped with factory HID's has a projector. HID's aren't designed to work with a standard halogen reflector style housing and you'll get worse performance running HID's in a reflector housing vs a projector.

Also as others have said, its extremely blinding to oncoming traffic if you run HID's in a reflector housing, regardless of how you aim them. If its a trail only rig, go for it. Otherwise go with a dedicated HID projector or look into LED housings like trucklites.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:45 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Yes
Old 02-07-2017, 08:22 AM

Year: 1997

It's not about "cool." It's about SAFE.

HID's in any other housing except HID projection housings are UNSAFE. They're unsafe for other drivers because of the debilitating glare, and they're unsafe for you because they're wasting a ton of light by not directing it where you need it.

Some people say that they solve the glare issue by aiming their lights way down. That just wastes even more light! Why even spend the money on them if you're going to do it so wrong?

I wanted light output
They why waste so much of it? Without the correct optics, you're wasting all sorts of light for yourself, and if you're aiming them down as you claim to do, you're wasting even more. You have done nothing but satisfy yourself with a placebo. If you had done it right, you'd actually be benefiting from all that light, but instead you're also wasting energy trying to defend demonstrably unsafe and illegal practices.

Mississippi doesnt care.
Actually it does. All states must (and do) require obedience of federal codes. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) section 108 describes in great detail what you seem to think is not important.

What's really troubling is that you're more concerned with whether or not you think your state cares and less concerned with the safety of yourself and others on the road because while we are advocating for doing a thing the correct way for the sake of performance and safety, you defend yourself by arguing that you don't care about cool or if Mississippi cares. If you think you're fine because you don't get flashed or pulled over or ticketed or haven't caused an accident yet, I urge you to look up a cognitive concept known as the Normalcy Bias.
More specifically, the regulations are part of:

Title 49: Transportation
Subtitle B: Other Regulations Relating to Transportation
Chapter V: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Department of Transportation
Part 571: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
Subpart B: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
Section 108: Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.
I've never heard of an HID specific projector until now.
The first hit when I Googled it as anyone would (halogen projector vs HID) is https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...or-differences which is a thread with a nice little discussion of the differences. There were a ton more productive hits, but this is simply the first one.

I recommend retrofitting some version of Morimoto projectors (https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...rsal-kits.html) into either your Vision X housings or Autopal housings (Autopal will require a clear housing lens be used instead of a fluted one since the fluting would defeat the purpose of the projection). There are a number of good HID retrofit writeups done by XJ guys. Some are older and have steps that aren't necessary now that projectors aren't as bulky, but that only means the process has gotten easier. This is an old one that doesn't apply directly to newer Morimoto stuff, but it's well-written and if you can't figure out how to apply its steps to newer stuff, you probably shouldn't be attempting any kind of retrofit/fabrication. http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoBiXenonProjectors.htm

Here are other write-ups:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/hi...-trend-183364/
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/hi...ite-up-204765/

Last edited by mschi772; 02-07-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

mschi772,,,you forgot this..

Old 02-07-2017, 11:34 AM
CF Veteran

Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

mschi772 just schooled us all

OP, if you are looking for on-road lighting then HID's in Halogen housings are stupid. If your buddy has them and "they work great", then definitively he is an idiot and you would be lumped in as well.
​​​​​​
If you want something cheap-ish, there are JW Speaker LED knockoffs that can be found on Ebay, someone was selling a pair in the for-sale section.
​​​​​​
Retrofitting projectors is definitely the way to go, mine are way more even, brighter, and a wider beam than my friends TruckLite LED 5x7's