Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!! rear end surging under braking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Help!!! rear end surging under braking?

So... I just finished my lift with a S10 bastard pack setup in the rear and it gave me just over 4" of lift. While I had the back apart, I removed the drums (finned style) and wire wheeled and rinsed them off then painted the outsides with high temp engine paint.

So everything went together perfect, no issues that came up. So when I went for my test drive around the block this is what I got:

- At first taking off I felt a little surging, kind of like ABS when it is engaged.
- A couple laps around the block and it went away under acceleration, now only under braking.
- The feeling is like ABS kicking in and it is definitely coming from the rear end of the jeep. Also my XJ is an 87' 2 door 4WD.

I have never had this problem before and I need to figure it out soon so I don't possibly trash something.

My brake lines are not extended yet and my E-Brake lines don't have too much slack. Could that be the issue? Or maybe the drums just need to bed in more since I rinsed them off to clean them.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:31 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Originally Posted by sczapiga
I removed the drums (finned style) and wire wheeled and rinsed them off
Did you do ANYTHING to the inside? if so get new drums. Did you 100% fully clean every single thing off the drum and 75% evenly coat the paint as that might effect it if it was off balance.

E-Brake lines don't have too much slack. Could that be the issue? Or maybe the drums just need to bed in more since I rinsed them off to clean them.
If your e-brake light on the dash is not on then chances are you are fine. E-brake cables are not meant to have slack.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:54 PM

All I did to the inside was rinse it off with water, and the paint is even and pretty thin.

When it surges it is from 2nd gear down to a stop, so I don't think its out of balance.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:32 PM

All I did to the inside was rinse it off with water, and the paint is even and pretty thin.

When it surges it is from 2nd gear down to a stop, so I don't think its out of balance.
Ok so I just drove across town and it seems to be getting better. Maybe the brakes just needed a little dust in em