Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help drum to disc conversion!!!!! Please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default Help drum to disc conversion!!!!! Please!

I have wheels off, rotor cases off, diff cover off, but differential wont spin so I can get to the 8mm bolt. PLEASE HELP!!!!! I tried putting the car in all gears (neutral, reverse, drive, park and yes i have wheel blocks for saftey and 2 sets of jacks)

What am I missing??? I tried turning gears itself, tried turning from axle studs, tried turning from DS. But nothing, only a little play. Please help I work in 4 hours and dont wont condo managers complaining my jeeps in pieces. Thanks everyone for quick responses!!!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 02:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

Try putting tcase in neutral, if that don't work then try putting one wheel on so it will be easier to turn.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:29 PM

thanks ill try that tomarrow morning.... if that doesnt work anyone else have ideas??
Old 12-02-2011, 06:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 290 Likes on 239 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

.... maybe take the drive shaft out completely.... now as stupid as this sounds..... unless your diff is locked up.... is your front wheels are on the ground and your 4wd engaged??.....
Old 12-02-2011, 06:46 PM

lol no its not haha i thot same thing because maybe it didnt shift back or something and no its not locked..... taking out DS would do it but..... idk how to do that lol
Old 12-02-2011, 07:29 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Remove the 4 bolts holding on the retainers on the yoke. The driveshaft should come right off after you remove the retainers. Might have to manhandle it a lil bit if you never removed the driveshaft before.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:46 PM

Year: 97+

When you remove the driveshaft (I am assuming you don't have a slip yoke eliminator kit) watch out for the trans fluid that has always come out of the tailshaft of the transfer case on me! You mentioned condo managers so just thought a drip pan in the right place may help your process.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

If you have the trans in neutral and the TC in 2 Hi, park brake off theres no reason you should'nt be able to spin it around by just grabbing the driveshaft.
Your posts sound like you might be getting a little frusterated and I know when I get frusterated I start thinking "damn this should work" and fail to go back through and double check stuff because I'm "sure" I did that. Everything else you've described seems to be just right, did you set the park brake before you jacked it up and forget you did? I know that sounds like a no brainer, but you never know.
My suggestion, take a break and take another look at it with fresh eyes and you'll probably find you were just overlooking something. HTH.

Last edited by Desert Rat; 12-02-2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Bad spellinz makes me nuts!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 PM

hey guys thanks for all the posts. I did double check all that amd i know that this is a problem because when i first got the vehicle i wanted to inspect gears and i ran thru same problem. I havent tried puttin tcase in neutral so i will do first thing 2m morning. It seemed to me it was locking up from that point. Worst case scenario since I already lowered and puy tires bak on..... can i just push car in neutral with diff cover popped off and have a buddy tell me when the bolts facing outwards? I thought of that right after i put wheels on haha... let me know thanks again!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:55 PM

Oh and btw to all explaining taking off the driveshaft, im not ignoring you but i want to stay away from removing that if possible lol. But if it comes to that, alot of the local shops tell me not to change or lose trans fluid because it can destroy my transmission since i have high miles (220k) but my trans and engine and all run like a top soo... Explain also please, sorry off topic on my own thread lol thanks
Old 12-02-2011, 09:15 PM

Hell yeah loosing trans fluid will hurt your trans, that is if you don't add more so it is full again. Still can't remember if your t-case shares the fluid with your trans but either way... When you are done with your project(s) and have the drive shaft back in pull the dipstick for your trans and check the fluid level (follow entire recommended check procedure) if low just add. Then crawl under your jeep and find the drain plug for the T-case. from there, look up about three inches above and there will be another plug (almost identical) that may say fill next to it. Unscrew this plug and check the fluid level. If it is not at or just below the hole add fluid till it is and then replace the plug. Overall it is a really simple check and fill.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 PM

noo i didnt mean like that lol they say changing the fluids or adding at all at this point can damage my car since its used to the old oil already and has all the nescary friction modifiers and additives and no one will touch it because its possible if you change tranny oil it wont work?
Old 12-02-2011, 10:04 PM

Year: 2000

If you drop your drive shaft just leave the front of drive shaft in transfer case and you should not lose any fluid. If you drop the drive shaft take some tape and wrap it around the u-joints so you dont lose the bearing caps.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:14 PM

thanks for tip, Do you know how i can turn gears without droppin the shaft? lol that sounded bad.... no homo haha
Old 12-03-2011, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by wahoo
If you drop your drive shaft just leave the front of drive shaft in transfer case and you should not lose any fluid. If you drop the drive shaft take some tape and wrap it around the u-joints so you dont lose the bearing caps.
Thanks bro, now I feel stupid! Instead I went on this rant about blah blah blah when you said it best in just a few words.

Gatorbait, if you have to add a little fluid (it will be less than 1 quart) I don't see any issues for your trans or T-case. As far as rotating the gears, make sure your T-case is in neutral and you should be able to rotate your gears with a tire or you could also use a prybar between the lugs on one end.

Quick Reply: Help drum to disc conversion!!!!! Please!