Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!! Asap...please!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L i6
Default Help!!! Asap...please!!

Hey guys...so I've been trying to do more to my jeep (2000 sport xj) now that I'm done with my masters...so ill get right to it...

I was replacing my crankshaft positioning sensor. I got the old on off with out much of a hassle.. but when I went to put the bolt back in...it fell onto the bell housing..then as I tried to get it back (i don't have a telescoping magnet i guess i need one) the black plastic piece that the crankshaft sensor goes into fell off opening a bigger hole into the bell housing and I'm pretty sure the bolt fell in....what should I do?
what can I do?
any idea of how to get the bolt out?

please help
Im stranded until I find this bolt
Old 09-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Remove the Dust sheild on the lower part of the bell housing where it meets the engine. Its a couple of bolts on the bottom, easily accessible. Remove the dust shield and u will have access to the inside of the bell housing where your bolt is sitting.

Ignore the red circle but the bolts u can see in the picture are the ones you remove.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:36 PM

great thank you...Ill try this in the morning when I have some more light
Old 09-02-2011, 10:30 PM

so today I went to pep boys and got a flexible magnet thing. and went ahead and removed the dust plate. couldn't see the bolt at first...but after some messing around i was able to push the bolt down from the top with the magnet and then fish it out with a coat hanging from the dust plate opening.

after that was taken care of, in went the new CPS sensor. two bolts taped to my extended and universal jointed ratchet and done..

started her up and everything sounds good..

thanks for you help
Old 09-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Great! Im glad everything worked out
Old 02-10-2013, 12:04 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: HO4.0 I6

Originally Posted by mikeXJ1020
Remove the Dust sheild on the lower part of the bell housing where it meets the engine. Its a couple of bolts on the bottom, easily accessible. Remove the dust shield and u will have access to the inside of the bell housing where your bolt is sitting.

Ignore the red circle but the bolts u can see in the picture are the ones you remove.
I was told to remove the top cps bolt first to make sure it wouldn't fall into the bell housing.... I removed it and plank! I'm pretty sure thats where it is hiding now... Is there anything I have to be careful of when removing the dust shield? Or is it a simple procedure?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by xj guy
I was told to remove the top cps bolt first to make sure it wouldn't fall into the bell housing.... I removed it and plank! I'm pretty sure thats where it is hiding now... Is there anything I have to be careful of when removing the dust shield? Or is it a simple procedure?
And now I'm battling the dust shield. There is one bolt that gets stuck on the down pipe and not allowing me to take it out completely. But the shield still won't come off? Is there some secret way of twisting and pulling it with out bending it? I think the metal feels pretty weak and don't want to bend it.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by xj guy
And now I'm battling the dust shield. There is one bolt that gets stuck on the down pipe and not allowing me to take it out completely. But the shield still won't come off? Is there some secret way of twisting and pulling it with out bending it? I think the metal feels pretty weak and don't want to bend it.
I ended up getting it eventually. For those reading. Just pull the side out closest to the starter and pull it out and over the starter bolts. You can the raise that side high enough for the drivers side to slip out and over the bolt that stays in.