Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headliner Board

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Headliner Board

Well, I have been restoring my 90 Laredo, and my build is titled 90 Rebirth. Anyway, I had put a sheet of paneling over sagging headliner, and i worked well, however, after recovering overhead console and visors, and then fighting with said visors, we decided we have come this far, Lets fix headliner. I know the headliner board is not available, and I really dont have a junkyard close to me, so Im going to try and remove headliner board,and firm it up. I know the board is in bad shape up front where visors mount, the rest, Not sure. So I plan to remove board, try and "fix" it, and then recover. MY question is, I understand it fiberglass, has anyone had good luck not not only firming up, but repairing small missing pieces. Like around visors ans such? I have heard epoxy, Resin, just wanting to get a game plan. Thanks
Old 01-01-2017, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

As far as I know the headliner is only stuck to the foam under it and the problem is the foam disintegrates leaving nothing to stick the cloth to. Let us know what you figure out, mine is sagging.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:57 PM

Default Headliner

Recovering is easy, but my headliner board is in bad shape. I need to find a way to firm it up, and fix holes around sun visors and console that are gone.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

i fiberglassed my headliner board to stiffen up some spots. Mine is pretty customer from having an aftermarket sunroof. It worked okay. I think it would be better for your situation from what you describe.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You might could go on CL & find one.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:56 PM

Idk about reinforcing it but I will say this when you put that cloth on the glue (go boarder line crazy with the adhesive) BE CAREFUL to not have to pull it off the glue. If the fabric touches it self after that you need to remove it all and start over. Not that I would know or anything lol. Learn from my mistake, use two people.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 204 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 98 stroked 4.7

I had the headliner totally fall down in front of me during driving...what a pain in the ***. I think my fix was great...will post pictures in a day or so...I took the entire thing out and removed all the cloth. removed the remaining glue and foam with some solvent. My board itself was in mostly good shape so I put 5 or 6 coats of Rustoleum Deck and Concrete Restore paint on it. It looks Fantastic and it was easy. I used grey because that was the original but they can mix it to any color you want. If it holds up to people walking on it , it will certainly last on your roof and its fairly flexible
Old 01-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by bluejeep2001
I had the headliner totally fall down in front of me during driving...what a pain in the ***. I think my fix was great...will post pictures in a day or so...I took the entire thing out and removed all the cloth. removed the remaining glue and foam with some solvent. My board itself was in mostly good shape so I put 5 or 6 coats of Rustoleum Deck and Concrete Restore paint on it. It looks Fantastic and it was easy. I used grey because that was the original but they can mix it to any color you want. If it holds up to people walking on it , it will certainly last on your roof and its fairly flexible
Pics???
Old 01-12-2017, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 204 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 98 stroked 4.7

I didn't have to repair my base liner but I assume fiberglass would work..this is how the deck restore came out
Attached Images