Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight high beams won't work - Please Help!

Old 04-03-2013, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Headlight high beams won't work - Please Help!

I've been troubleshooting my headlights for weeks and can't seem to figure out why my high beams won't work. My low beams work fine, but the lights turn off every time I switch to high beams. The light on my instrument cluster comes on when I activate the high beams. I can't get my XJ to pass inspection until I've fixed the problems, so I'm beyond frustrated. My XJ came with the Delta H4 conversion headlights, which seem to be a simple, direct replacement of the stock headlights.

Here's a list of what I've checked so far:

• Replaced the bulbs (no brainer)
• Checked headlight harnesses (they appear to be stock)
• Checked all fuses
• Checked all grounds and wiring
• Replaced multifunction switch on steering column

I've checked and replaced a lot of things to try and fix this problem, but with no success. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: l6 HO

Triple check that h4 conversion.

My buddy had a similar issue with his with those. In order to turn the lights off he actually had to switch the high beams on once.. If he didn't do this they would stay on. Turned out to be a wiring issue. Your problem is in that h4 conversion somewhere most likely..
Old 04-03-2013, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by NewJerseyXJ609
Triple check that h4 conversion.

My buddy had a similar issue with his with those. In order to turn the lights off he actually had to switch the high beams on once.. If he didn't do this they would stay on. Turned out to be a wiring issue. Your problem is in that h4 conversion somewhere most likely..
Thanks for your insight on this. The part I don't get is that these lights are a simple plug-and-play conversion from stock. You don't have to modify or replace any wires or harnesses. Also, mine aren't having an issue of staying on, the high beams just won't turn on. I've read about other H4 conversion kits that have the problem your friends has. I'm at a loss on this.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by goodspeedXJ
Thanks for your insight on this. The part I don't get is that these lights are a simple plug-and-play conversion from stock. You don't have to modify or replace any wires or harnesses. Also, mine aren't having an issue of staying on, the high beams just won't turn on. I've read about other H4 conversion kits that have the problem your friends has. I'm at a loss on this.
Yeah we were confused too. As simple as it was to install it was still messed up. Lol
Old 04-03-2013, 02:39 PM

Year: 1999

are you sure you have the correct bulb????
Old 04-03-2013, 02:49 PM

Year: 1988

Put new connectors in, sounds like the the wires in the connector are going out, go to any parts store and ask for new pigtails for H4/H6054
Old 04-03-2013, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by mech1ohio
are you sure you have the correct bulb????
Yes, they are 60/55 watt halogens.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:51 PM

Default High beams still won't work

So I just finished installing the Putco aftermarket high wattage headlight harness kit in my jeep, along with new Hella bulbs and nothing has changed. My high beams still won't come on. To make matters worse, now my low beams are staying on when I try to turn my headlights off. Also, my "Check Guages" light is coming on in my instrument cluster. I give up. If anyone has any advice I'd be more than grateful. I really don't want to pay a shop to track down this problem.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 PM
CF Veteran

So I just finished installing the Putco aftermarket high wattage headlight harness kit in my jeep, along with new Hella bulbs and nothing has changed. My high beams still won't come on. To make matters worse, now my low beams are staying on when I try to turn my headlights off. Also, my "Check Guages" light is coming on in my instrument cluster. I give up. If anyone has any advice I'd be more than grateful. I really don't want to pay a shop to track down this problem.
What year do you have? Hopefully were not lookijg at a burnt out fusable link here..
Old 04-09-2013, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Pull the fog light relay and try again. If that doesn't work then you need a new headlight switch.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by NewJerseyXJ609
What year do you have? Hopefully were not lookijg at a burnt out fusable link here..
It's a 2000 sport.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

It's a 2000 sport.
Ok good, you dodged a bullet there. They did away with all the fusible links with the 00 models. ( If I'm not mistaken)

Hmm.. See this is why I went with the silverstars for my 00. I saw the headache my buddy went through. Do you have to tap the high beams to get the headlights to turn off completely now?

Last edited by NewJerseyXJ609; 04-10-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

You guys might want to check some earlier threads.

On 97+ XJs there is an issue with harness replacement (Putco) and the relay that makes sure fogs and high beams are not on together. Because the high beams are stupidly ground activated, it's a bear to get working. I had to put the fogs on a separate circuit to have it working properly.

The Putco harness is also prone to issue related to grounding the H4 upgrade properly. So you want to take the light assemblies off and make sure there are two good grounds behind them. Do not attach to the easy bolts right in the cavity but look for a bolt on or around the radiator for a better ground... Other than that, check the relays on the upgraded harness - they could have issues as well...
Old 04-11-2013, 01:43 AM

Year: 1999

I may have some insight as to why your lights are staying on when you turn them off. Chrysler vehicles since 1999, (maybe a little older) have a courtesy function built into them. If you kill the engine and then the lights, they will remain on (as a courtesy when you entering your garage at night or whatever) for 60 seconds. However if you kill the lights before you kill the engine then they should just turn off. My 99 does it, my 06 Cummins does it...annoys the hell out of me when I think I left my lights on. Even my GM does it...HD's will even keep the running lights on, so all of the clearance markers will be lit and everything and you'll just sit there and wait wondering if you accidentally switched it over to manual lights on accident.

I'd check and see if you didn't accidentally engage the courtesy mode before panicking about that (no, I don't know if it can be disabled).
Old 04-11-2013, 06:40 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,521 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by yarom
You guys might want to check some earlier threads.

On 97+ XJs there is an issue with harness replacement (Putco) and the relay that makes sure fogs and high beams are not on together. Because the high beams are stupidly ground activated, it's a bear to get working. I had to put the fogs on a separate circuit to have it working properly.

The Putco harness is also prone to issue related to grounding the H4 upgrade properly. So you want to take the light assemblies off and make sure there are two good grounds behind them. Do not attach to the easy bolts right in the cavity but look for a bolt on or around the radiator for a better ground... Other than that, check the relays on the upgraded harness - they could have issues as well...
A good place to start is suggested in post # 10. Pull the relay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight high beams won't work - Please Help!