Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Harness Homemade Upgrade-Pic

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1996 Two Door Wagoneer
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Headlight Harness Homemade Upgrade-Pic

Got a bad case of the blinks a while back. Especially in frequent or extended high beam mode. This is on the waggie quad light setup.

I couldn't find a Putco or other prefab harness upgrade for the quad light so I made my own.

Here are the details:

Old high and low beam wires were cut just on the header panel side of the harness connector. New wires were connected and run along the old harness and then back by the battery to operate the primary side of the relays mounted near the battery. One each for high and low beams. (Separate bulbs on the waggie.)

Power for the secondary side of the relays was taken from the PDC main battery/fusible link connection nut (96 has this and not the big fuse there). Separate high and low beam circuit fuses are in the short run from there to each relay. See pic.

The load side of each relay secondary serves the respective high and low beam bulbs. All new sockets were used at the bulbs. 16 gauge wire was used on these circuits. Same with the grounds, which were run from each bulb back to the body lug at the short battery neg terminal to body wire. Its on the inner fender right by the neg terminal of the battery. Good, clean, and direct grounds. Cruiser54 will like that.

All works very good. High and low circuits are completely independent and fail safe from each other. Each is independently fused as close to the battery as possible. This is an added safety feature should one circuit fail.

All connections were soldered and shrink wrapped. UF relay is for the UF upper bulbs-the low beam circuit. The LF relay is for the LF lower bulbs-the high beam circuit.

I know it's kind of counter intuitive, but the low beam bulbs are mounted high for better downward shine. The high beam bulbs are below them. Anyone running the quad light waggie front appreciates the independent aiming flexibility of the separate high and low beam bulbs. Something not available on most cars anymore.