Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Tie Rod

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default HD Tie Rod

With the added weight of my bumpers and winch, my stock tie rod has started to suffer. Its actually has a bow in it so I want to replace. Can someone recommend an HD tie rod ? I have a 96 XJ with 3.5 " lift and 31" tires. Prefer one that comes with new ends. If not then one that is not to expensive so I can afford to buy new ends separately and would like recommendation on what ends. Considering the Rough Country along with these ends..

Amazon.com: Rough Country - 1143 - Heavy Duty Tie Rod Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Rough Country - 1143 - Heavy Duty Tie Rod Kit: Automotive

Amazon.com: Moog ES3094L Steering Center Link Tie Rod End: Automotive Amazon.com: Moog ES3094L Steering Center Link Tie Rod End: Automotive

Amazon.com: Moog ES3095R Steering Center Link Tie Rod End: Automotive Amazon.com: Moog ES3095R Steering Center Link Tie Rod End: Automotive

Thanks for input

Last edited by RickJames Bish; 02-28-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by RickJames Bish
With the added weight of my bumpers and winch, my stock tie rod has started to suffer. Its actually has a bow in it so I want to replace. Can someone recommend an HD tie rod ? I have a 96 XJ with 3.5 " lift and 31" tires. Prefer one that comes with new ends. If not then one that is not to expensive so I can afford to buy new ends separately and would like recommendation on what ends. Considering the Rough Country along with these ends..

Amazon.com: Rough Country - 1143 - Heavy Duty Tie Rod Kit: Automotive

Amazon.com: Moog ES3094L Steering Center Link Tie Rod End: Automotive

Amazon.com: Moog ES3095R Steering Center Link Tie Rod End: Automotive

Thanks for input
Search for ZJ V-8 tie rod upgrade. Just did it on son's xj. About $104 on Amazon for all Moog parts.
Three pieces, RT tie rod, Lt rod end, adj sleeve. Solid steel, weighs 2X of stock.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

Originally Posted by Larry's XJ
Search for ZJ V-8 tie rod upgrade. Just did it on son's xj. About $104 on Amazon for all Moog parts.
Three pieces, RT tie rod, Lt rod end, adj sleeve. Solid steel, weighs 2X of stock.
Just did the ZJ upgrade on my 85 and got the parts for about $80 at Oreilly's . Would have done the draglink too but the 85 is made different and I have to order it separate.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by jedijeb
Just did the ZJ upgrade on my 85 and got the parts for about $80 at Oreilly's . Would have done the draglink too but the 85 is made different and I have to order it separate.
Odd, I searched O'Reilly and the r rod was $80+ alone.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

All you need is the mid 90's ZJ V-8 TRE setup I run them with 35" tires now and still not any problems. Bought all 3 pcs. including the sleeve from AutoZone, their own top of the line brand (Moog repackaged) for just under $100. These make the stock XJ one's look sick and a direct bolt-in to boot.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
All you need is the mid 90's ZJ V-8 TRE setup I run them with 35" tires now and still not any problems. Bought all 3 pcs. including the sleeve from AutoZone, their own top of the line brand (Moog repackaged) for just under $100. These make the stock XJ one's look sick and a direct bolt-in to boot.
Wow... thanks for info. All of you. Looks like the ZJ upgrade is the way to go. I have been searching and a bit confused on which parts to get exactly. Some are referring to adjustment sleeve, which would be on the drag link and not the tie rod. I just want to replace the tie rod and tie rod ends right now. If someone has the part numbers that would be great. I'm assuming I need the tie rod an TREs. Not sure how they ends are clamped down on this setup so might need clamps as well.

Also I'm considering this http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-adj...arms-1192.html because after adding bumpers and winch I had to raise my xj back up using 4" lift springs and shackle relocation. I ended up being slightly higher than my original 3" lift and it has put my front springs at a weird angle. Would this be a good choice or is there another cool trick you guys have up your sleeves.

Last edited by RickJames Bish; 02-29-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Not crazy about the RC items but those will work. As for the springs you should have bought the Rustys Off Road 3" lift coils the HD ones made for a winch/bumper combo like I run on mine. He offers 2 sets a std set and the HD ones at no extra cost.

The TRE's one is on the long bar the other is a short TRE then the adj sleeve 3 pcs total at least at AutoZone.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Not crazy about the RC items but those will work. As for the springs you should have bought the Rustys Off Road 3" lift coils the HD ones made for a winch/bumper combo like I run on mine. He offers 2 sets a std set and the HD ones at no extra cost.

The TRE's one is on the long bar the other is a short TRE then the adj sleeve 3 pcs total at least at AutoZone.
Can you recommend a set of adj. control arms as alternative to RC ? I was looking at core 4x4 but read up some and look like they may be junk. I have been right on the edge of ordering items from Rustys but I have read more negative than positive.

Last edited by RickJames Bish; 02-29-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/zj-...upgrade-22717/

This thread has lots of discussion and a list of part numbers needed for the upgrade. One end of the ZJ tie rod has the TRE attached the other end you need an adjustment coupler and TRE so it is actually three parts but not the hollow tube and two TRE like the original setup.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Just redid my whole front end with an axle swap and went for IRO for the tie rod. Comes out to about $120 with TRE's + shipping.

It is BEEFY. I had an even bigger custom built one from the PO, but I couldn't get the TRE's off - frozen solid.

I took the IRO wheeling last weekend in Las Cruces and ran it hard (35's & 6.5") performed great. No issues.

For adjustable control arms, I run RE, and they work well.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:59 PM

Despite the reviews I have read on Rustys Offroad across multiple sites I think I am going to try his adjustable XJ upper and lower control arms with flex joint. If anyone has something to share that would show me this is a bad decision, other than ignoring the existing bad experience stories, please let me know.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:14 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Some are referring to adjustment sleeve, which would be on the drag link and not the tie rod. Not sure how they ends are clamped down on this setup so might need clamps as well.
Adjuster sleeve on tie rod is to set toe-in, doubles as clamp. Adjuster on drag link is to center steering wheel, also serves as clamp.

Can you recommend a set of adj. control arms as alternative to RC ? I was looking at core 4x4 but read up some and look like they may be junk. I have been right on the edge of ordering items from Rustys but I have read more negative than positive.
Rubicon Express is good and economical. Avoid Crown control arms.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:53 AM

I was a click away from getting Rustys Upper and Lower XJ Adjustable Control Arms with Flex Joint. Was chatting with them from their site then found out there are 2 different size custom wrenches used. Wrenches are not completely necessary but since these are what I consider high maintenance joints, they would definitely be desirable. Anyway they would not even throw in one of them for free or reduce shipping. No give.. result.. no buy. They were extremely nice during the chat and answered all my questions though.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:02 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

I have Rock Krawler uppers and lowers. Have not had to rebuild them yet, it's been almost 4 years. I did remove them for inspection and all is well.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
I have Rock Krawler uppers and lowers. Have not had to rebuild them yet, it's been almost 4 years. I did remove them for inspection and all is well.
Do you have part number for each or a link to the parts? They don't seem to like XJ.

Quick Reply: HD Tie Rod