Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness n Headlight upgrade not good

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 06:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Harness n Headlight upgrade not good

Just completed and tried them after dark and very disappointed. Did not get a chance to check voltage but there is no diference. Hooked the grounds up for both lights. Both high / low beams workin. Something has to be wrong, too many thrilled with this set up.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by samiam
Just completed and tried them after dark and very disappointed. Did not get a chance to check voltage but there is no diference. Hooked the grounds up for both lights. Both high / low beams workin. Something has to be wrong, too many thrilled with this set up.
What harness and lights did you get?
Old 02-19-2017, 06:26 PM
Seasoned Member

From a member here. Its a nice upgraded harness with the relays and fuse. Got the halogen headlights with the h4 bulb. The same setup everyone is doing .
Old 02-19-2017, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Got any pics of the lights on?
Old 02-19-2017, 06:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000

if you don't have 13.8 (same as your battery) at the light, something is not right. Check your wiring. and double check the ground you used for the headlights, because that could cause the lights to be dim too.

is this the harness you used? (amazon link below)

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by mikesignal; 02-19-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:45 PM
Seasoned Member

No it was a lot better harness than that. I put dieletrical grease on all the connections, but that should not be any problem.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:19 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

No it was a lot better harness than that. I put dieletrical grease on all the connections, but that should not be any problem.
Dielectric grease is Non-conductive... I would clean all that stuff off..
and use Ox-Gard Anti-Oxidant Compound instead..
Old 02-19-2017, 08:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Hmmmm, I thought I was doin a good thing with the grease. Not sure how I can clean it off now. I'll check it out tomorrow with a meter, clean the grounds better and clean the grease off as best I can, thanks
Old 02-19-2017, 08:49 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Small story about Dielectric grease..

I had a Crank position sensor going out on one of my Jeeps. I went and picked up a OEM CPS at dealer, went on did the job and all went like it should(a few beat up knuckles).
During the install my brother in law(who was helping) said "Hey did you put Dielectric grease in the plug?" I said "no",. To shorten the story I put alot down in the plug and all over it thinking, Cool no water will get in there. I jumped in and tried to start it, nothing,,

it would just crank. I thought hmmm, Looked the work over and all looked fine. Lets try again,,then a code came up(don't remember #) I took the CPS back to dealer picked up new, did the job again. Same thing but a little different. This time code was telling me low volts CPS or something like that. How could two OEM CPS be bad I thought.

I stopped what I was doing and hit the NET reading thread after thread getting nowhere. I came across a post from CCKen in Jeepforum about how Dielectric grease is Non-conductive. I went right out to the Jeep after reading that and cleaned out the plug and pins the best I could(used diesel fuel to cut the grease lol its all I had).
Did the crossed fingers start and boom started right up.. I made a call to Brother in law soon after chewing his ear off..lol
So thats what happen to me when using D-grease.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Member

They say you learn something new every day and I know I just learned something today. Sometimes I get carried away with things, I even put never seeze on all the little screws for the lights LOL
Old 02-20-2017, 01:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 99

i used DE grease on my plugs for my headlight harness. Its not putco like the OP but its blazing bright with oem sealed lamps. Im not saying its not DE grease however i would test the voltage to the lamps. battery terminals- relay connections,grounds as stated above, anything could be faulty on a used harness ( if its used). test the battery too! alternator could be having fun.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:18 AM
Moderator CF K9-unit

They say you learn something new every day and I know I just learned something today. Sometimes I get carried away with things, I even put never seeze on all the little screws for the lights LOL
Dont get me wrong please,,,Im not saying getting rid of the D-grease will fix your issue.. Im just saying start there because D-grease is Non-conductive and might not be allowing full contact for good power output...
Also Check your grounds for good bare clean metal contact.

Good luck..
Old 02-21-2017, 08:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990

Where did you run the ground pig tails to? Remember, the shorter your ground length, the better. i took a self tapping screw and a red jacketed eyelet and drilled them to the header panel right behind the light. make sure you cleaned off the paint with sond plumbers tape so the screw and eyelet make a clean connection. also make sure the red power cord goes cleanely to your battery. not spliced into another wire. Hook it directly to your Positive post and make sure you have at minimum 13.8 volts going to the pig tails. These relay harnesses by themselves greatly improve the lighting. coupled with a new housing and bulbs, it is night and day difference when installed properly.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

I ditched my pair of AutoPal E-Codes after 4 years. They were rusting and peeling badly. Never did like the light pattern and ended up running 85/100Watt bulbs with ceramic sockets. I had Sylvania XtraVision in there BEFORE I did the harness/ecode conversion. Thought the Xtravisions were better originally so I threw a new pair in there last fall after tossing the Autopals out. Very happy with the sealed beams now. The new harness made a TON of difference too.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

If dielectric grease is not allowing full contact....you have other problems.

It keep water/air & other contaminants away from the connection to prevent corrosion.

Never seen it be able to prevent full contact on a good connection.