Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Grinding noise when turning

Ok, so this is on my 96 XJ. Have an NP231 T case with a HP D30 up front and Ford 8.8 rear. Cross over steering, lifted 7.5 inches up front, with TJ 3.5 inch springs in the rear. 4.0 Inline six with an AW4 auto Transmission.

So I was having problems with my front drive shaft. I took it off, replaced the u joints on it and slapped it back on. I went to go drive it around town to see if the noise was still there (coming from the drive shaft). The drive shaft is not my concern. The problem now is, I put it in 4 High, (Yes im aware you're not supposed to engage 4X4 on the pavement, I drove straight the whole time). Well when I was going to disengage the 4X4 I was slowly coming to a stop, well at about 15 mph, I decided to slip it in neutral (Yes I know, stupid...). Well it slipped from neutral up to reverse... You know what comes next. Grinding and the jeep turns off.

Well I slip it in neutral, turn it on, disengage the 4X4, and drive it back home. The problem now is, im getting a clicking/grinding noise when I turn my wheels left while moving. It doesn't do it all the time, but every now and then. Any ideas on what it could be? Took my front diff cover off (mainly to check if I was missing any teeth, checking for the noise from the drive shaft) and everything looks good. Im hoping I didn't damage my tranny... It engages in every gear fine. I haven't noticed any slipping while driving either.

Last edited by JSaenz; 04-26-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

How are the axle u joints?
Old 04-26-2016, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by JPXJMOAB
How are the axle u joints?
They look fine, I should probably lift up the front end and wiggle the tires to see how they feel.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JSaenz
They look fine, I should probably lift up the front end and wiggle the tires to see how they feel.
That's not how you check axle u joints. What do you mean they look fine? Lol you need to physically grab them and try to move them just like driveshaft u joints
Old 04-26-2016, 07:34 PM

That's not how you check axle u joints. What do you mean they look fine? Lol you need to physically grab them and try to move them just like driveshaft u joints
That's how you check wheel bearings... And last time I checked the u joints they looked fine.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

That's how you check wheel bearings... And last time I checked the u joints they looked fine.
No. Wheel bearings are checked by grabbing the wheel and feeling for play at 9&3, 12&6 or by spinning the wheel and feeling the spring for a vibration. To check axle u joints you literally grab the axle u joint and feel for play.

Last edited by JPXJMOAB; 04-26-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:10 AM

No. Wheel bearings are checked by grabbing the wheel and feeling for play at 9&3, 12&6 or by spinning the wheel and feeling the spring for a vibration. To check axle u joints you literally grab the axle u joint and feel for play.
Yes. Therefore you lift the front and move the tire...
Old 04-27-2016, 07:23 AM
CF Veteran

Yes. Therefore you lift the front and move the tire...
Again... Wrong. Do you have any idea where the axle u joint is? You don't even touch the tire to check axle U joints. You check them on the ground and you fee the U joint itself for any play. It's not that hard, if you want any help go check them.
Attached Thumbnails Grinding noise when turning-photo828.jpg  
Old 04-27-2016, 09:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

You should be hearing the noise when turning period, unless it is the brakes or something on the left front corner only. (unless it is not on the axle at all)

You may have damaged the tcase/chain/shifting mechanism when you hit reverse. Also check trans mounts & engine mounts. Make sure the tcase linkage is completely disengaging also.

When you do what you did, it is quite a shock to the driveline, especially in 4wd, so you have to check everything to be sure what is wrong.

Usually, damage for this type thing is in the tcase or trans because that is where the sudden direction change occurs 1st & with the most force.....maybe u-joints on the driveshaft, but not so much the axles.

Last edited by TRCM; 04-27-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by TRCM
You should be hearing the noise when turning period, unless it is the brakes or something on the left front corner only. (unless it is not on the axle at all)

You may have damaged the tcase/chain/shifting mechanism when you hit reverse. Also check trans mounts & engine mounts. Make sure the tcase linkage is completely disengaging also.

When you do what you did, it is quite a shock to the driveline, especially in 4wd, so you have to check everything to be sure what is wrong.

Usually, damage for this type thing is in the tcase or trans because that is where the sudden direction change occurs 1st & with the most force.....maybe u-joints on the driveshaft, but not so much the axles.
Yea I agree. I was thinking I might have done something to the T case chain as well. But why would it only make noise when I turn? If it was the Tcase it would most likely make noise whenever I'm driving. Not just when I turn.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

Yea I agree. I was thinking I might have done something to the T case chain as well. But why would it only make noise when I turn? If it was the Tcase it would most likely make noise whenever I'm driving. Not just when I turn.
Because when 4x4 is engaged in dry pavement you're binding the entire driveline when you turn.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Because when turning, there is a bigger load on the trans/tcase, and that is when problems show up.

What's easier for you to push....a truck with tires pointing straight ahead, or a truck with the tires turned ??

bold letters - not true.....when driving, the front driveline is disengaged from the engine, and spinning the same speed being driven by the tires/ground if going straight. When you turn, a speed differences shows up between the front & rear driveshafts, especially when the front is being driven by the ground, NOT the engine (as when in 2wd), so when you turn, you see the rpm diff, and that is when things show up....especially is the tcase is only partially disengaged....same speed ok, diff speeds, noisey

Last edited by TRCM; 04-27-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:29 PM

Because when 4x4 is engaged in dry pavement you're binding the entire driveline when you turn.
I'm not turning with my 4X4 engaged on pavement. I stated that on the OP.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by TRCM
Because when turning, there is a bigger load on the trans/tcase, and that is when problems show up.

What's easier for you to push....a truck with tires pointing straight ahead, or a truck with the tires turned ??

bold letters - not true.....when driving, the front driveline is disengaged from the engine, and spinning the same speed being driven by the tires/ground if going straight. When you turn, a speed differences shows up between the front & rear driveshafts, especially when the front is being driven by the ground, NOT the engine (as when in 2wd), so when you turn, you see the rpm diff, and that is when things show up....especially is the tcase is only partially disengaged....same speed ok, diff speeds, noisey
Ok gotcha. So with that said, if I take off the front drive shaft and IT IS the Tcase it shouldn't make noise when I turn right?
Old 04-27-2016, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Ok gotcha. So with that said, if I take off the front drive shaft and IT IS the Tcase it shouldn't make noise when I turn right?
Only in 4wd.. You still have a driveshaft going to the rear wheels from the transfer case.

Quick Reply: Grinding noise when turning