Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear set-up Gurus! Check my pattern

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Gear set-up Gurus! Check my pattern

Ford 8.8, 31 spline with 4.10s on a truetrac. My drive pattern looks awesome but coast side is very toe. Both sides sit nicely with respect to root/top land, which leads me to believe my backlash is acceptable.
I think it'll be okay, but looking for some opinions.

.020 pinion shim,
.0105 backlash

Drive side

Coast side. Nice contact, but very toe.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:40 PM

Bump!
Old 12-07-2016, 03:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

IMO, I would say the pinion is just a bit too close to the carrier. I'd start with pulling out a .005" shim and see how the pattern looks. You're close to being perfect though. The coast side isn't as important as the drive for the rear axle but you have to think about those times you might need to hammer down in reverse if you're stuck. A few minutes to make an adjustment may save that rear diff from a grenade.

Great work though! Gearing is a PITA and it's nice to see someone getting in there and putting the work in.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:03 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
IMO, I would say the pinion is just a bit too close to the carrier. I'd start with pulling out a .005" shim and see how the pattern looks. You're close to being perfect though. The coast side isn't as important as the drive for the rear axle but you have to think about those times you might need to hammer down in reverse if you're stuck. A few minutes to make an adjustment may save that rear diff from a grenade.

Great work though! Gearing is a PITA and it's nice to see someone getting in there and putting the work in.
Pretty sure Carl has had experience breaking teeth when hammering down in reverse (trans tooth, however), so I definitely understand why he would want this to be right
Old 12-07-2016, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by EvstaG
Pretty sure Carl has had experience breaking teeth when hammering down in reverse (trans tooth, however), so I definitely understand why he would want this to be right
hahaha yeah that's me. im running out of space on my desk for new paper weights. I can't believe you remembered that lol!
Old 12-08-2016, 07:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

Lol well I certainly hope you don't destroy a ring and pinion! Post up some more pattern pics if you do decide to pull a shim or two. I'm curious to see how much shim was removed to get a better contact on the coast side.