Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which gear brand?

Old 03-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default which gear brand?

im wondering what brand gears to get mainly been looking at superior, alloy and yukon. im looking to get a ratio of 4.56. if you could please tell me what brand you trust, where you bought it and how well its working out for you would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:58 PM

Year: 1990

From my research USA standard and Yukon are of the same quality. I plan on running USA Standard 4.11's for my Cherokee.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:30 PM

Year: 98/01
Engine: 4.0 H.O./ 383 Stroker

If you have any tech question northridge4x4 is the only place I would buy gears lockers and my Tru Trac. They always have taken care of all my guys and their orders. If you are doing your front axle with gears its best to order a master install kit for your D30 with inner axle seals with the gears. I run a Tru Trac in the front with 4;88. I have a 8.25 in the rear and got a full locker with axle seals and bearings They beat all the others prices on my package. hope this helps!!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

I run Yukon and got them from Complete Offroad. They do package deals and that's what I used when I had stock axles. Good people to deal with and great prices.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

ive been really happy with yukon throughout the years. its the majority of what we sell and install when doing gear jobs.

i like the way there kits are setup, and i really like the way there crush sleeves are compared to some of the other brands.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:33 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: I-6, 4.0 HO

I bought a set of USA Standard 4.56 from Randy's Ring & Pinion about a year ago when I was building my XJ. Due to my crazy schedule and funds I just tackled the task of putting them in yesterday. Ive never done gears before. Got everything tore apart and started reassembly. I realized that my D30 carrier was too small after we installed it twice with no luck. Then today as I was putting my locker in my rear axle that the ring gear was too thick and was blocking my hole for my pin. I bought all my components at the same time so shouldn't the "experts" at RRP tell me what will and wont work? I'm not the happiest man after this weekend. Tomorrow I plan to call them and see what went wrong. As far as right now I wouldn't suggest buying anything from them or USA Standard. After I see how well their customer service is tomorrow I may have a different opinion. If anyone has any info or advice on this subject I'm all ears!
Old 03-13-2011, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

Originally Posted by wmatt182003
I bought a set of USA Standard 4.56 from Randy's Ring & Pinion about a year ago when I was building my XJ. Due to my crazy schedule and funds I just tackled the task of putting them in yesterday. Ive never done gears before. Got everything tore apart and started reassembly. I realized that my D30 carrier was too small after we installed it twice with no luck. Then today as I was putting my locker in my rear axle that the ring gear was too thick and was blocking my hole for my pin. I bought all my components at the same time so shouldn't the "experts" at RRP tell me what will and wont work? I'm not the happiest man after this weekend. Tomorrow I plan to call them and see what went wrong. As far as right now I wouldn't suggest buying anything from them or USA Standard. After I see how well their customer service is tomorrow I may have a different opinion. If anyone has any info or advice on this subject I'm all ears!
shave the center pin some, its a pretty common thing
Old 03-13-2011, 10:43 PM

Year: 1990

Personally, I research anything and everything I plan to do on my rig... that said all my PRE-PURCHASE research has told me that a new carrier is required if you're going to a numerically higher ratio (3.55 to 4.56)...
Old 03-13-2011, 11:03 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: I-6, 4.0 HO

I wanted 4.88s but they wont fit in my 8.25 housing so I got the 4.56. I knew the rear carrier would hold the new gears, but I never thought about gear thickness. I know now I need a new carrier for the front. I'd never heard about carrier breaks until yesterday. I did think of shaving the pin but wasn't sure if it would work. If I can shave the pin down some then you just saved alot of time for me. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by scottd16
im wondering what brand gears to get mainly been looking at superior, alloy and yukon. im looking to get a ratio of 4.56. if you could please tell me what brand you trust, where you bought it and how well its working out for you would be greatly appreciated.
I installed yukon gears in the front dana 30 and Superior in the 8.25 rear.
The Superior had bevelled down gears so the pin would go in and out. I don't know if they do on the 4.56 or not, mine were 4.10. Do all the install reading you can and call the company your buying from with your questions first.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by flyingstick

I installed yukon gears in the front dana 30 and Superior in the 8.25 rear.
The Superior had bevelled down gears so the pin would go in and out. I don't know if they do on the 4.56 or not, mine were 4.10. Do all the install reading you can and call the company your buying from with your questions first.
What exactly is bevelled down gears? Is the pin going in an out causing a problem in function and strength?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

I wanted 4.88s but they wont fit in my 8.25 housing so I got the 4.56. I knew the rear carrier would hold the new gears, but I never thought about gear thickness. I know now I need a new carrier for the front. I'd never heard about carrier breaks until yesterday. I did think of shaving the pin but wasn't sure if it would work. If I can shave the pin down some then you just saved alot of time for me. Thanks.
Nitro gears, and they have 4.88s for the 8.25.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Rock Toy
Nitro gears, and they have 4.88s for the 8.25.
i saw these and wanst sure about the they are a bit cheaper then all the others so i was curious to how the hold up. they dont have to many reviews.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Well, they have a two year warranty just like Superior. Where I got mine.

http://www.justdifferentials.com/ind...oducts_id=2684

Most R&Ps have a one year warranty, ( as in us standard, US gear, and Yukon ) and I've talked
to a couple of people that use Nitro stuff. That is why I ordered Nitro rings and pinions and axle
shafts from Just Differentials.com.

Last edited by Rock Toy; 03-14-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by scottd16
What exactly is bevelled down gears? Is the pin going in an out causing a problem in function and strength?
Some of the gears have to be ground down on the toe to install the center pin. The Superior gear I bought was bevelled down on the toe already. I don't know if all ratio's are this way but I bet they are.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: which gear brand?