Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Cell

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Fuel Cell

I am planning to relocate my fuel tank, as I am reinforcing the cargo area and frame rails. I have thought about just using the original tank, but am concerned about fumes in the cab. I also have thought about just buying a fuel cell and just opening the rear hatch to put gas in it each time. I know that I will probably need an electric fuel pump and new fuel lines, but am wondering what else I would need to make it work with the vehicle's computer (2000 XJ)? I have a Golen 4.6 stroker that will be going in next week, my original fuel pump I believe should be sufficient, but what kind of flow rate should I be looking for in an electric fuel pump? I'm not sure if it matters or not, but the Golen is coming with 24psi fuel injectors as well.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You will need a inline fuel pump for efi and a inline fuel filter maybe duals one before the pump one after.And i would build a metal box fully inclosing the fuel cell for safety.As far as the filler goes depends the size of the tank and the height you might could rig up it to use your stock filler.But again the filler has to be higher then the top of the tank.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You can buy a aluminum fuel cell with the bladder for a decent price. I have ran them for years, in fact there is one in the wagon in the spare tire well in the rear. I do build a steel angle/iron frame to go around the box that attaches to the frame in case of a high speed accident.

Jegs and Summit Racing both sell the cells as well as others.