Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford taurus electric fan upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 02:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Ford taurus electric fan upgrade question

I searched a bunch but can't get a definitive answer about this. Can the taurus fan be used to replace the aux. electric fan on the XJ while keeping the mechnical fan, or the mechnical fan must be deleted in order to fit?

I'm not really into getting the volvo switch and replace a bunch of stuff, my plan would be to keep the mechanical fan and the new taurus e-fan running as auxiliary (when getting to 220 it would kick on first speed, like stock), but with an extra on-off switch that i could control and manually start it when needed (that would be wired to the second speed). Is that something possible, or i'm way off?
Old 07-28-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I don't see why you couldn't but you will probably still want the volvo relay in order to use the two speed function if I recall correctly. Volvo relay is really easy and you should be able to pick one up for pretty cheap at a junkyard
Old 07-29-2017, 03:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I think the taurus electric fan is much larger then the OEM electric fan . I don't think there is room for the taurus electric fan and the engine fan .
Old 07-29-2017, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The taurus fan is much larger, and There is not enough extra space to run both. That said, through customization, everything is possible, so bust out your fiberglass skills and make a custom shroud for the taurus fan. Personally though, if I am going to that extent, I am losing the mechanical and going straight efan, the Taurus fan is more than enough to keep the engine cool. So for the amount of labor, you might as well free up the HP and torque and get the mileage gains.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by kyle96xj
I don't see why you couldn't but you will probably still want the volvo relay in order to use the two speed function if I recall correctly. Volvo relay is really easy and you should be able to pick one up for pretty cheap at a junkyard
after you said that i went ahead and snagged the only volvo relay in my whole u-pull yard so at least I have that.

Originally Posted by tech
I think the taurus electric fan is much larger then the OEM electric fan . I don't think there is room for the taurus electric fan and the engine fan .
yeah i put them next to each other and the taurus is indeed much bigger, not sure what my plan is going to be here.

Originally Posted by Oceanairbrush
The taurus fan is much larger, and There is not enough extra space to run both. That said, through customization, everything is possible, so bust out your fiberglass skills and make a custom shroud for the taurus fan. Personally though, if I am going to that extent, I am losing the mechanical and going straight efan, the Taurus fan is more than enough to keep the engine cool. So for the amount of labor, you might as well free up the HP and torque and get the mileage gains.
the only thing i worry about using the taurus fan as my main fan is that it will constantly pull power, so then I'd need to think about the alternator / battery.

so if i get this right the best way would be to delete both stock fans, electric and mechanical, and replace them for the taurus fan. then i could wire the taurus fan to kick on first speed with ignition, and the second speed when the temp reach ~217F, when the stock e-fan would be triggered?