Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a few questions for any YJ owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default a few questions for any YJ owners

i know this is a cherokee forum, but if anyone has owned a YJ and could shed some light on a few problems im having i would appreciate it. i recently traded my cherokee for a YJ wrangler, 6cyl, 5 speed, 4in lift. runs great but it will not pull off of the back wheels, in either 4high of 4low it will drive just fine on the front axle but no power to the back wheels in any gear. im sure it was the rear diff but the guy i got it from claimed to have just put new guts in the rear end and before i start cracking into anything i had a few tech questions for anyone that might have ran into this before with a 4x4. is there any way the problem is in the transfer case? also i recieved new guts for the front axle with the jeep and im curious if there was any way he could have put the new gears for the front axle in the rear axle and that was causing the problem. i went into it knowing it was a project so if it needs a new rear end that wont be a problem, but if the issue is in the transfer case or could be in the transfer case ill start my inspection there. sadly my work schedule this week wont let me do much until next weekend but if anyone could shed some light on other possibilities than the rear end being shattered it would be great.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:18 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

put the rear end on jack stands, put it in 2 high, 1st gear, let the clutch out, look underneath. is the driveshaft turning?
Old 03-18-2013, 01:51 PM

Year: 91
Engine: 4.0
Default yj troubles

If it drives good in 2 w d(rear wheels turning), then your problem should be in the transfer case ? Jack it up on stands check driveline and if rear wheels turn