Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender trimming

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fender trimming

I've been thinking about mildly trimming my fenders but I'm not 100% sure on it yet.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:28 PM

Year: 2001

Well that's vague enough I guess.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:36 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by jsohway
I've been thinking about mildly trimming my fenders but I'm not 100% sure on it yet.
Do your tires rub on the fenders? If yes, trim or lift higher. If no, leave them. Done.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:55 PM

I've had them rub once or twice. I'm already lifted pretty high, I'm just trying to decide how far to trim and how to go about it. I'm not 100% confident in doing it yet. Not trying to be vague or anything just thinking out loud and looking for feedback and suggestions
Old 05-22-2014, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

I've had them rub once or twice. I'm already lifted pretty high, I'm just trying to decide how far to trim and how to go about it. I'm not 100% confident in doing it yet. Not trying to be vague or anything just thinking out loud and looking for feedback and suggestions
Relocate your washer fluid reservoir from the drivers side front fender to under the hood. Then go to town on the front. For the rear you should research the "cut and fold" method to make sure you don't cut the pinch seam.

Just use tape or something to mark your line on the fender, cut with a cutoff wheel, dremel, sawzall, etc. Then sand down the sharp edge and paint it.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:07 PM

I've been doing the research on it and I've seen a lot of people do the cut and fold on the front and rear. I just can't decide how far I want to cut
Old 05-22-2014, 10:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 w/ tupy head

I've been doing the research on it and I've seen a lot of people do the cut and fold on the front and rear. I just can't decide how far I want to cut
Cut alittle at a time. If your not happy cut alittle more.Ive cut mine for 31s and then cut again for 33s and then did the rear quater cut and fold. I used a angle grinder with cut off wheel and used emry cloth to smooth the burs.After the first fender youll be alright...just cut em.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:54 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by HS00XJ
Cut alittle at a time. If your not happy cut alittle more.Ive cut mine for 31s and then cut again for 33s and then did the rear quater cut and fold. I used a angle grinder with cut off wheel and used emry cloth to smooth the burs.After the first fender youll be alright...just cut em.
FWIW, I tried a dremel with cut-off wheel, jig-saw with fine metal blade, sawzall with metal blade, and an angle grinder with a thin cut-off wheel, and I found the angle grinder to be leave the cleanest cut by far. Just have to be careful you don't heat the paint too much.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:12 AM

I think I'm going to go for it. I'm running 33s now and the only time I've rubbed is when my suspension is maxed out. All I need is an angle grinder
Old 05-23-2014, 07:21 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

I'd recommend to down load the Bushwacker Flat Fender installation directions. They give you a pretty good guideline on doing it. I bought a roll of 3" blue painters tape & a sharpie & a yellow paint stick. Mark everything out & check, check, check. I used an angle grinder & a sawzall. Take your time cutting, once your done with it, it's not that bad.

If for any reason you don't like it, buy the BW fenders & throw them on.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:26 AM

I think I'll go for it here in a week or two. I plan on building tube fenders eventually so if I don't like it then I'll have a reason to start on them sooner
Old 05-23-2014, 09:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I6

I was a little scared to do it too cause my body is still in fairly good shape, but I woke up and realized that my $1000 tires are worth more than the $50 fenders..

I personally used an angle grinder + a cutoff wheel for the brunt of the cutting and then used a sanding wheel after to smooth out the edges. If you take your time and mark where you want to cut you'll like the outcome.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:49 AM

That's why I don't know if I want to yet. My jeep still looks amazing for how I use it. It has a few dents and scratches but its still really nice in my opinion
Old 05-23-2014, 10:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

That's why I don't know if I want to yet. My jeep still looks amazing for how I use it. It has a few dents and scratches but its still really nice in my opinion
Do you have a fender flare law in your state? That's really the only thing that's keeping me from taking mine off, cause I think it looks ohh so good without them. I've seen other Cherokees around without flares and nobody seems to get attention from the cops, but I'd be the one...
Old 05-23-2014, 10:05 AM

I don't know. I have seen some wranglers without flares but I haven't looked into it

Quick Reply: Fender trimming