Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fans in FRONT of Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1996 Two Door Wagoneer
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Fans in FRONT of Radiator?

Has anyone put the electric fan mod in front of the radiator? Engineering says this is the better location, to push the air through, rather than pull it from behind. But XJ's seem to have a space problem there. Has anyone found a solution and installed a fan set in front? And still keep the grille?

Maybe removing both stock fans from behind the radiator and finding an appropriately thin double electic unit for in front of the radiator would be ideal. The double unit could even run off one electrical circuit and control, such as the existing aux electric fan circuit.

Looking to improve performance, simplify, and add lightness.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

I was doing research on this not to eliminate factory setup but to be used in slow driving situations. Theres not a lot of room up there just never followed thru .I upgraded to new style xj aux and grand Cherokee fan clutch. seem to be all that was needed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FANS-HP-REVERSIBLE-TWIN-10-INCH-ELECTRIC-COOLING-NEW-/331024629130?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d129afd8a&vxp=mtr
Old 09-18-2013, 12:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

I was researching this too. all I found was that a pull fan with a shroud works more efficiently than a push fan. here's the quote but they dont do a good job of really explaining why one is better than the other

"The only real choice for a performance cooling system is a "puller" fan - one that is mounted behind the radiator (in relation to the airflow) and sucks the air through the radiator. They are far more efficient than "pusher" style fans that mount in front of the radiator and push air through it.
All fans should be shrouded. Without a shroud your valuable airflow is dramatically reduced and all manner of complicated aerodynamics can go on, essentially leaving your expensive performance rad and fan combo stifled and unable to do its job before it had a chance."

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Cooling/
Old 09-18-2013, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

I've considered this as well, but with an A/C condenser in the way it seems less likely that airflow will pass over the radiator fins, rather than being blown out of the void between the radiator and condensor. One thought I had was to create a shroud, or tunnel if you will, that would force air to continue towards the engine. Ice cold A/C I bet. It seems few have considered using both fans and their shrouds (like those from FFdynamics.com) on the front of the radiator. Maybe its a clearance issue- but I cut a large portion of my grill out to keep my winch recessed and I think I may have the room for three 10-inch push fans on aluminum shrouds. An immediate advantage would be the space between the engine and the radiator where the hot air, driven towards the rear of the vehicle, would have more space to circulate elsewhere than hanging in the engine bay...

Last edited by alpine.adrenaline; 09-18-2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Rented fingers.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:29 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Atmos
I was researching this too. all I found was that a pull fan with a shroud works more efficiently than a push fan. here's the quote but they dont do a good job of really explaining why one is better than the other

"The only real choice for a performance cooling system is a "puller" fan - one that is mounted behind the radiator (in relation to the airflow) and sucks the air through the radiator. They are far more efficient than "pusher" style fans that mount in front of the radiator and push air through it.
All fans should be shrouded. Without a shroud your valuable airflow is dramatically reduced and all manner of complicated aerodynamics can go on, essentially leaving your expensive performance rad and fan combo stifled and unable to do its job before it had a chance."

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Cooling/

Correct. Pull is more efficient than push. OP got bad info somehow.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

Keep your pull fan, and add a push fan, I've seen a couple rigs with the setup
Old 09-19-2013, 09:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

Pull vs push? IDK but I would rather stand infront of a fan blowing/pushing on me rather than behind the fan where it would be sucking air/pulling air across me.

I have upgraded WJ fan clutch and added 2- 10" pushing fans in front. It is a tight fit but fit. Wired to thermostat, on 195* off 180*. Works great at around town and idling keeps thermostat/gauge right at 194-197*. Doing it to my other XJ as well.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 liter, I6

Originally Posted by CobraMarty
Pull vs push? IDK but I would rather stand infront of a fan blowing/pushing on me rather than behind the fan where it would be sucking air/pulling air across me.

I have upgraded WJ fan clutch and added 2- 10" pushing fans in front. It is a tight fit but fit. Wired to thermostat, on 195* off 180*. Works great at around town and idling keeps thermostat/gauge right at 194-197*. Doing it to my other XJ as well.
I don't agree with your theory. the pulling fan has got a shroud over it which pulls the air more effectively. and to me air will flow through the radiator much easier when pulled rather than being pushed through the radiator when blown.

And a pulling fan is also much quite than a pushing fan.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: Gas

A guy at work has one. Claims he uses it when "crawling." I can never get him to go off roading though so I don't know when that is.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1996 Two Door Wagoneer
Default Opinions every which way!! Here's more...

So I go the the wrecking yard to check out fans. There's lots to choose from these days.
Regarding PULL vs PUSH here is what I predominantly observed...

PULL: Jeep, Mopars, Fords, GMs

PUSH: Audi, Mercedes, BMW

It ezz all about ze engineering, mein freund!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by HappyTrails
So I go the the wrecking yard to check out fans. There's lots to choose from these days.
Regarding PULL vs PUSH here is what I predominantly observed...
PULL: Jeep, Mopars, Fords, GMs
PUSH: Audi, Mercedes, BMW
It ezz all about ze engineering, mein freund!
I have 3 of the 'PUSHERS' in the driveway + 1 XJ with PUSH+PULL and another XJ getting the PUSHER treatment..
Old 09-19-2013, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

What size, type and how many are you using for pushers? Never mind, I see further up you are using 2 10" fans. Do you have a gap between the fans and the AC condenser or are they flat up against it?
Old 09-19-2013, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Flat against the AC condenser.