Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

extended bump stops necessary??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default extended bump stops necessary??

so after some debate, head scratching, and research i havent found a clear answer. I lifted my cherokee 4 inches ish. I have factory bump stops in the front and the rears are rotted off so nothing present. Which is why this problem came up. I need to put something in the rear, but do i got with longer than stock or stock length.

My thought process is go with stock front and rear, wich would allow the jeep to flex more because it isnt bottoming out as quickly? but is there a pro to going with longer bump stops? Is it normal to put longer stops on after a lift. in the front my springs stay put and dont pop out like i have read that the clayton lift could do.

So is the springs poping out the determining factor of needing longer stops? i am perplexed and would like to order stops for the rear bu t not sure to go stock or longer.

Any thoughts??

And it is a short arm lift. new springs in front, and new springs and chevy shackles in the rear. All stock arms for the moment
Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

well yeah the bump stop does many things:

1) keeps your tires out of the body work
2) pushes the other side down, creates a pivot point

in my case bump stops would have allowed me to go higher on the RTI ramp... when I made body contact that was it... open difs meant when the tire hit the body the other side got all the power and just spun on the ground... if I could have done it again with longer stops I would have kept going up the ramp, well that and lockers
Old 10-05-2012, 06:43 PM
CF Veteran

Yep, bumpstops are one of the most important suspension components and they're probably the most overlooked.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:48 PM

so its sounding like i need to flex my jeep some more and see if i am bottoming out on stops or the body first. and i am only running 31x10.50/15 tires
Old 10-05-2012, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.co..._Bumpstops.htm
Old 10-18-2012, 07:37 PM

So after my trip to the junkyard I figured something out. The rear bump stomps on a 97 Isuzu rodeo 1997 are twice as tall as stock Cherokee bump stops. Then after putting them on and goingout wheeling and flexing the jeep I realized that the thunk sound wasn't my axle bottoming out. It was my rear shock bottoming out. I cut and moved my shock mounts so they wouldn't hang lower than my axle. I am also still running my stock shocks. So looks lineup need to get lifted shocks as well as redo the bottom shock mounts. The passenger side one is higher than I would like.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I measure exactly how long for each stop. So as to get the maximum out of the suspension. Sometimes sides are a little off so each one should be addressed seperately for maximum performance/articulation.

I found out the hard way that if you run without rear stops you can break springs.

so its always good to check them and replace if necessary.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:32 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L straight 6

yeah i still have stock bumpstops and when i flex and go wheeling the tires are all up in the fenders and even bent one fender. so i think extended bumpstops and flat fenders are in my future
Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 PM

i still have stock bumps in front and now the rodeo bumps in the rear. but i still have stock length shocks front and rear. so that is my limiting factor at the moment. I bought the lift kit off craigslist for 100 bucks. it was 3.5 inches with coils for the front and full leafs for the rear plus swaybar quick discos and a adjustable track bar. so i cant complain about getting shocks. Besides hopefully by spring time this will become my sons fist car and i will have a grand cherokee 5.9 for myself.