Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Explorer tranny cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Explorer tranny cooler

I have been going back and forth from one thread to another about installing these... which I gather is very simple. Where I'm stuck at is where to mount it; to the drivers side, passenger side, center, off kilt a bit? I live in Florida, so I am also uncertain whether or not to bypass the rad-tranny cooler or just keep it inline? As far as where to mount it, not sure about mounting on the drivers side, since it would be in front of the AC fan. Or in front of the clutch fan; wouldn't that make the engine run hotter? Help me out here, where would be an ideal location to mount it?
Old 03-18-2014, 09:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Right in the center is probably the most common mounting position, that's where I have mine mounted (B&M 70264). It is always going to be something of a trade-off no matter where you mount it. In FL it might make sense to bypass the Rad cooler, though I would recommend a temp gauge (I've got a Stewart Warner 122281, works well and the price is hard to beat at $20, I only wish it had a lower scale since my trans runs below 140 much of the time during "normal" driving) if you do since it does have the potential to decrease cooling capacity (though you might actually benefit in FL with hot coolant and the A/C running most of the time).

Old 03-18-2014, 11:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

currently i have a zj cooler behind the bumer but ill be going to an explorer soon and itll be on the aux fan side of the radiator. i figure its the cooler side of the radiator and away from the fan clutch where most of the coolant actualy being cooled off

that and when its hot enough i have my aux fan on a switch so i can cool that side of the radiator as well