Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust header

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 11:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Exhaust header

Drake Off Road Header, Steel - Black
https://www.morris4x4center.com/drake-off-road-header-steel-black-jp-150000-rw.html

There's a few different brand of this exact header, does anyone have experience with them?
Old 01-17-2019, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee

I put a banks header in my first Cherokee and went in in two hours and I put 30,000 on it without a problem. Bolted right up to the factory exhaust flange, but it was also $500. Next header I bought off amazon for $120, went in the same. Everyone was complaining about blowing out the header gasket. I didn’t want to chance it, so I bought a remflex composite gasket. Had no problems. But I also had the factory exhaust flange with a high flow cat and Flowmaster 40 series. I also bought a header for my current Cherokee for $100 off amazon and a composite gasket for $35, but I haven’t installed it yet. I have talked to a another Cherokee owner and he also bought a amazon header and blew out the header gasket that came with it, within a week. I also read about 20 different reviews on different manufacturers (drakes header was one) and they don’t complain so much about fit, they just blow out the gaskets. I hope this answers part of question. Hopefully more will talk about it on your post.

Last edited by Freddysxj; 01-17-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: Turbo 4.0

I recommend the felpro MS94790 or comparable gasket.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest making sure the flanges of your new exhaust header are the same thickness as your intake manifold. I bought a cheap header and blew out the gasket pretty quickly. I figured it was due to the different thicknesses of flanges, maybe an eight of an inch or less, and bought a high dollar header and am happy with it. But it was spendy. I am in California too so maybe that has something to do with flange thicknesses. I may still have the manifold around if you are intereated. for cheap, as is... pm me if you like.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Sloerolla
I would suggest making sure the flanges of your new exhaust header are the same thickness as your intake manifold. I bought a cheap header and blew out the gasket pretty quickly. I figured it was due to the different thicknesses of flanges, maybe an eight of an inch or less, and bought a high dollar header and am happy with it. But it was spendy. I am in California too so maybe that has something to do with flange thicknesses. I may still have the manifold around if you are intereated. for cheap, as is... pm me if you like.
How does the flange thickness affect this blowing out a gasket? Everything after market seems to have a fairly good amount of material.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4jeepmanthing
How does the flange thickness affect this blowing out a gasket? Everything after market seems to have a fairly good amount of material.
The bolts that keep both flanges against the block use a kind of thick conical washer. The difference of thickness in the flanges causes this washer to cant, favoring the thicker flanges and allowing for the thinner flange to let the gasket between it and the block to be blown out. At least this is what seemed to happen in my case. When I took the previous header off, the gasket was blown out the bottom of most of the exhaust ports. I think I'd you have a thinner flange you can tack a bit of a spacer on it to even it out, maybe. I just spent the money cause I like being broke and haven't had the issue with the new Gibson header.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:38 AM
CF Veteran

Haha, yeah i didn't want to put the cheapest thing on, nor did I want to splurge on performance parts I won't gain from.

Use hoped it was middle line and would work, however no one seems to run them.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: Turbo 4.0

Same happened to me. This was my fix at the time.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:35 AM
CF Veteran

Any other recommendations for replacements?
I could always weld this one, but it'll just crack again.

Also anyone have part #s for stainless hardware?
Old 01-18-2019, 09:12 AM
CF Veteran

I have a 99 that I'm putting a rebuilt motor from a 93 in. The intake and exhaust mounts the same on the block right? It's all h.o. 4.0. I'll just shift the 99 intake onto the rebuilt with the header, or so much is the plan.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

I have put three Banks headers is mine. The first two split at the collection point within 10,000 miles. The third has about 40,000 on it and seems to be holding up. Banks has a lifetime warranty, hence why I was willing to put the same brand back in. Also, when you bring them a broken part, they will swap you out for the latest version so you're guaranteed to get the best version of their product.

I will say this; I am not great with engine work so unlike Freddysxj above, it took me much longer the first time. I've gotten better, but Banks does not cover a shops labor or your personal labor in their replacement. I've had shops quote me 8 hours to swap in a new header so keep that in mind if the lifetime replacement is the selling point. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

I pulled my manifold yesterday, the cracks in it were far worse than Ide expected.

I've heard a couple of you mention banks. Is there anything else out there you use that has been working out well. I don't want to put crap back on that'll just break again.
any others out there please feel free to suggest any other options, I'm not sold on the original thought I posted on.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

I've went with the Pacesetter from Summit. It was a bit tricky to get everything lined up but had it installed in about 5hrs that was about 6 yrs ago. The paint is crappy and smelled great as it was burning off within a minute running but other than that it's been great and much less than Banks. If I had to choose again I think I'd went with an APN header I've read great reviews and priced well. My .02
Old 01-22-2019, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

My current exhaust flange measures 1/2", has anything you all have used worked well, not well?
Old 01-22-2019, 07:45 PM

I went with the ceramic coated stainless steel Gibson option, and I figured sooner or probably later the financial sting would fade away. And the quality of the item sure helped the pain fade.

Quick Reply: Exhaust header