Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Engine Rebuild

So I have a 97 now, and a whole lot of small engine problems going on. I totaled my 93 back in September and the engine ran well with a lot of power still in it. I brought it up to my dad, and we're probably going to swap engines come spring.

I plan to rebuild/clean up the engine. A full stroker build is not in the budget as I'm 17 working part time and actually pay for anything I do. That being said, I want to just discuss different paths people have taken, gather different advice and opinions, as well as learn some more about engines.

Some things that I plan on doing regardless of what path I take are:
-99 intake manifold
-Cold air intake/cowl intake
-Keep my bored throttle body
-Upgrade injectors
-Performance ignition
-Bigger alternator
-Full 2.5 inch exhaust with a 50 series

That's a base, I'd like to hear absolutely anything about doing this. It'll be an ongoing project and discussion that I'll use a lot and post up on a it happens.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:31 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me, just remember that there are little changes here and there between a 93 and a 97, like the temperature sender on a 93 is on the back of the block and on the thermostat housing, only on the thermostat housing on a 97. The timing windows on the flywheel and distributor are different (I'm pretty sure). Might be a god idea to get a fsm for a 97 I guess? I always wanted OBA that was belt driven, while you have it out you could do one of those neat york setups. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 PM

For what it's worth, I'd say just replace the gaskets that are leaking, and save the money if you want a stroker. That is assuming the motor has good compression.

Also check the timing chain for slack.

Just my .02
Old 01-11-2013, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by xerootg
Sounds like a good idea to me, just remember that there are little changes here and there between a 93 and a 97, like the temperature sender on a 93 is on the back of the block and on the thermostat housing, only on the thermostat housing on a 97. The timing windows on the flywheel and distributor are different (I'm pretty sure). Might be a god idea to get a fsm for a 97 I guess? I always wanted OBA that was belt driven, while you have it out you could do one of those neat york setups. Good luck!
I would definitely go through both engines' diagrams before I did anything. My father has been a mechanic for 30 some years now so I'm sure everything coil work out in the end. I'll look up all of the stuff you mentioned as well, thanks!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by grainofsalt
For what it's worth, I'd say just replace the gaskets that are leaking, and save the money if you want a stroker. That is assuming the motor has good compression.

Also check the timing chain for slack.

Just my .02
Saving money for a stroker would be physically impossible. Bad financial place with the family, and being in high school and literally paying with my own money for everything and having no savings because of having to replace my totaled one, just wouldn't work at any point. I'd replace all of the gaskets with fel pro ones just to play it all safe.

If I even thought I'd have a chance of getting enough money in the next two years, I'd save up, but it wouldn't happen so I want to build a engine with bang for your buck but yet, not skimping over things.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Some things that I plan on doing regardless of what path I take are:
-99 intake manifold
-Cold air intake/cowl intake
-Keep my bored throttle body
-Upgrade injectors
-Performance ignition
-Bigger alternator
-Full 2.5 inch exhaust with a 50 series
everything you listed here costs you extra money...i don't get it.
you're telling everyone your totally broke... if you are that hard up for cash just keep it stock. instead of spending unnecessary money on all that upgraded stuff...spend time looking for extra cash. i speak from experience, not trying to sound condescending.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by CherokeeJon
Saving money for a stroker would be physically impossible. Bad financial place with the family, and being in high school and literally paying with my own money for everything and having no savings because of having to replace my totaled one, just wouldn't work at any point. I'd replace all of the gaskets with fel pro ones just to play it all safe.

If I even thought I'd have a chance of getting enough money in the next two years, I'd save up, but it wouldn't happen so I want to build a engine with bang for your buck but yet, not skimping over things.
Adding all this extras is just trouble waiting to happen swap engines with replacing gaskets while out of course get it running properly then upgrades ....Best bet
Old 01-12-2013, 05:30 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by xerootg
Timing windows are the same.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:31 AM

Swap the 93 engine in using all the externals from your 97. Cheap. That's what you wanted.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Adding all this extras is just trouble waiting to happen swap engines with replacing gaskets while out of course get it running properly then upgrades ....Best bet
This was more or less the advice I wanted, if my idea was stupid I can understand. That's why I'm openly seeking advice. The reason I want to swap the engines is because the old one ran much more solid and had almost no leaks. I trust that one. In the new one I got, the guys wife hit a deer and he oversold it to me. A lot of things went wrong already that he lied about and I'm not quite sure what else could.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:56 AM

So as of what I'm hearing right now, a complete clean up is what would be the smart start? Take the 93 out and buy a full gasket kit, redo all of that and just overall clean the engine and install it before I put anything to "improve" it on?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:57 AM

What's really wrong with the 97 engine?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
What's really wrong with the 97 engine?
The guy gave me a shelf full of parts he replaced, however those parts already seem to be wearing out. It's a lot of little things that add up to me feeling unsafe about the engine. It's more of a preference. We just replaced the alternator, the water pump is going, it leaks oil from multiple places. I haven't looked over it fully. It's something my dad and I both agreed on, we trusted the old jeep much more than this one. So it's basically either pay the money to continue buying replacement parts, gaskets, and oil that it leaks, or swap in the engine that I already have and buy new gaskets for it.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:26 AM

It's also an opportune time to learn about an engine and everything involved with it
Old 01-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

the money you will spend in cleaning up the old engine and replacing gaskets and such will end up pretty close to the price of a RMS, oil pan gasket and water pump for the 97 which is already together. Would be better to learn about the up keep of what you have rather than the grief you will experience with the engine swap.. Don't get me wrong here, an engine swap is an easy job, but for a first time experience on what will be your daily driver ,may not be the project of choice.

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild