Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric fan swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Electric fan swap

i have a 2000 xj and I wanna do an electric fan swap. I had a 89 that I just sold that I had a flex a lite controller and two fans and ran them at the same time. Very easy set up. Looking to see if there is any options for somthing diff or just stick with the Basics like I did before? In the 89 I put the coolant temp sensor in the t-stat housing. Got the housing from a newer xj and put it on. Just trying to get ideas. Also if I run a trans cooler was thinking the flex a lite one that comes with the mounts and adding a fan to it? You guys that have trans coolers you loop them back into your radiator after the cooler or no? I daily drive and building it for off road also.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L6

Originally Posted by fannitti
You guys that have trans coolers you loop them back into your radiator after the cooler or no? I daily drive and building it for off road also.
I run my auxiliary trans cooler after the radiator heat exchanger. This is the method suggested by the cooler manufacturers and should give you the best cooling for the transmission and still provide some heat in colder ambient temperatures to get the transmission up to operating temperatures quicker.

However, if you have concerns or issues with too much heat being dumped directly into the cooling system through the exchanger, consider putting the auxiliary cooler before the exchanger. This should reduce the amount of heat being exchanged into the radiator and still cool the transmission, only to a lesser extent.

Last edited by Tbone289; 08-08-2017 at 01:20 PM.