Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR block-off plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default EGR block-off plate

Has anyone ever put an EGR block-off plate on a renix 4.0? how did it work out? I am thinking about it for an off road only vehicle (no law breaking).

thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 01:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Just disconnect & plug the vacuum line - problem solved.

I'm not a huge fan of the EGR on RENIX - it's pointless and silly. Besides, the engine actually runs cleaner without the thing.

Since you're removing it from an emissions-controlled segment, just remove and plug the vacuum line to the thing. The ECU won't care, the engine will run just fine, and you won't have any trouble. I wish CA would let me do away with the thing on-road - I'm tired of getting my intake crapped up with carbon for no good reason...
Old 04-16-2011, 12:24 PM

Default dumb question

Sorry, but how will the ecu know the egr is not there and quit tweaking the fuel delivery? it seems like the o2 sensor and the knock sensor are the only way the ecu would know something is wrong; and it does not listen enough to the o2, and by the time the knock is activated things have gone really wrong.

I don't necessarily believe what I am saying I just want to work the idea from all sides

Last edited by trug; 04-16-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: make clear
Old 04-16-2011, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by trug
Sorry, but how will the ecu know the egr is not there and quit tweaking the fuel delivery? it seems like the o2 sensor and the knock sensor are the only way the ecu would know something is wrong; and it does not listen enough to the o2, and by the time the knock is activated things have gone really wrong.

I don't necessarily believe what I am saying I just want to work the idea from all sides
The RENIX ECU doesn't monitor EGR function directly - it just controls it. Fuel trim will continue to be monitored by the HEGO (that's what it's there for,) but the EGR also doesn't have anything direct to to with fuel trim.

Trust me - your RENIX engine will run just fine without the EGR. Don't ask how I know - I don't want to admit to anything - but you can rest assured that I've spent several years finding this out (in the long term, you won't have any trouble due to disconnecting the EGR. I swear on it.)

The knock sensor is there to prevent spark knock and preignition -neither of which have anything to do with EGR function. The HEGO monitors fuel trim, providing a feedback loop - which has nothing to do with EGR function. If the HEGO should happen to fail, the ECU will "fail over" into a rich running mode (about 13.0:1, generally - rich enough to prevent detonation due to lean burning, not so rich as to cause cylinder wall washdown,) and that has nothing to do with EGR function.

I promise - you'll be fine. Even if you were OBD, the only way the ECU would know anything was wrong would be if you had an EGR valve position sensor (not present in ChryCo OBD-I, and not present in all OBD-II systems.)
Old 04-16-2011, 06:29 PM

thanks, I'll buy in