Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dual battery set up in a cherokee?

Old 02-09-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default dual battery set up in a cherokee?

So with running my winch, off road lights, upgraded head lights, sub, amp, cb radio,ect....I am thinking of doing a dual battery set up.

This is the thing i will be using to relocate the air filter.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17006_7101_07.htm

Then if it is possible using these on in stock battery location and one where the air box use to be.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...x-_p_1673.html

Then as far as conecting the two battery not sure on if i just run a positive and negitive from 1 to other or if i need a special set up to do this any detailed info would be great.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:41 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I think it would be in your best interest to look into the Painless wiring dual battery setup. Gives you much better control of your electrical system as a whole
Old 02-09-2012, 08:16 PM

Would i need a to get new altinator? because right now i just bought one from autozone for the stock cherokee.

I am trying to figure out if i am in need of two batterys, I do go wheeling at night quite a bit i dont want to be out in the middle of no where with all my lights on winching and have my battery die or make my alt over work its self.

Last edited by chrisquested; 02-09-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 PM

From what I have read on here, your best bet would be the painless wiring set up, along with a higher amp alternator...I believe one I saw mentioned to me was in the 130's, but I don't recall exact numbers. I think that would clear up the possibility of a dead battery...one more suggestion, especially if you do a lot of part road...optima battery, warranty sucks cuz most auto stores don't have a pro-rate past the free replacement, but you stand a far less chance of collapsing a cell in a gel cell battery...
Old 02-10-2012, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by JET3180
From what I have read on here, your best bet would be the painless wiring set up, along with a higher amp alternator...I believe one I saw mentioned to me was in the 130's, but I don't recall exact numbers. I think that would clear up the possibility of a dead battery...one more suggestion, especially if you do a lot of part road...optima battery, warranty sucks cuz most auto stores don't have a pro-rate past the free replacement, but you stand a far less chance of collapsing a cell in a gel cell battery...
my interstate just messed up on me and my alt went out on me also...pissed me off because i was wheeling, got a call about my dad had a stroke so i was hauling A$$ to hospital and the jeep dies on the high way
Old 02-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 98

I can vouch for the Painless power manager setup. It works pretty well, and is auto sensing and does the work for you. It includes cables to hook everything up, just keep the power manager unit near the front of the engine bay or you won't have enough cable to reach... Easily fixed with 10 bucks of cable from Lowes.

I already had a Mean Green alt(200amp), so didn't need anything there.

I went with a Wrangler NW battery tray from Quadratec, because it's specifically made for the hole where the airbox was. Bolts right in. Kinda pricey though...

I pieced together a Spectre intake system, but only because I did a snorkel instead of cowl. That cowl intake system is pretty nice, and all the connections are welded. Good stuff...
Old 02-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

I've been thinking about this too. But my plan is different. Different intake system, and no fancy battery tray. Just going to mock up a factory one where the air box is. You could also get a dry cell battery and safely mount it in the cabin somewhere. That way it would be easy to hook up an inverter for an air compressor, or something like that.

I'd recommend another alternator, but it may not be 100% necessary. It's my understanding that you would need a battery isolator. Something that connects to the alternator, and splits the amps between the two batteries, and then breaks the connection between the two, so you only draw from one battery at a time(one for deep cycle/all accessories, one for starting.) You can get battery isolators from Quick Cable, and you need to match the isolator to the amount of amps coming out of the alternator.

I haven't looked too hard into it all, because it's not the highest thing on my priority list, but I hope the above info is helpful.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

You could just run a dual battery isolator. You can get a 500 amp off ebay for like $60.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

it'll fold like a taco..
Old 02-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
it'll fold like a taco..
?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ProudXjOwner
?
He posted the same exact thing on NAXJA, they told him the front couldnt handle the weight of the two batteries, it'd fold like a taco
Old 02-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
He posted the same exact thing on NAXJA, they told him the front couldnt handle the weight of the two batteries, it'd fold like a taco
oh.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by ProudXjOwner
oh.
yup that they did....Ohwell just gona focus on getting my winch bumper here then i will worry about this other stuff my bumper should be here in like 4-5 weeks i guess....
Old 02-11-2012, 12:52 AM
CF Veteran

I think there was some truth to what they said, if you're jumping your jeep 5 feet in the air at 80 mph everytime you drive it... Should be fine as long as you're not planning a jeepspeed jeep
Old 02-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 98

Well if you're jumping your XJ like that, then the batteries are not the problem, the force from landing is the problem. Of course you're going to fold the front end like a taco if you jump stuff a lot without reinforcing the unibody rails...That's just common sense.

I beat the crap out of my XJ, and it's doing just fine with two batteries. It feels and drives the same as it did with one battery.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dual battery set up in a cherokee?