Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers side floor pan rusted out

Old 10-02-2011, 03:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default Drivers side floor pan rusted out

So as the title says my drivers side floor pan is rusted out. And need to be be replaced. Now, Yes Ive read plunty of stuff on how to replace them.. But no where have I found a write up on how to get the carpet out and still save it, and to get the seat out when the seats bolts are rusted out, and stuck (aka I'm worried about how to get it back in since a drivers seat is kinda important) So any help would nice,

Thanks in advance,
-Zack
Old 10-02-2011, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix
Default Nuts

Sears makes the BEST extractor sets. Looks like sockets with helix edges inside, they grip rusted nuts and bolts. Use lots of liquid wrench or pb blaster to penetrate the nuts. As a last resort if the seat studs come out with the nuts or break off, a bolt can replace the stud, drill out and bolt thru the floor, or a bolt can screw back in where the stud was (M8 x 1.25 pitch). Use an impact with some extensions. I have a minor floor repair in my profile albums, lots of pics, Need to remove all the threshold trim to release the carpet along the bottom of the door opening, philips head scews,. I folded the carpet up and to the center, tied with twine, and tossed a tarp up there to keep the dash relatively protected. Use zip saw blades on a 4.5" snag grinder to cut out the old. Watch were the sparks are flying and wear eye protection. Good Rust paint and dollar store brushes.
Have a fire extinquisher handy and weld in the new. Weld from inside and from underside, both. Know what's on the other side of where you are welding, this is important. Having a helper on hand to watch is very beneficial.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:21 PM
CF Veteran

So what if I pulled back my carpet and just welded it in? ...the only reason I would want to seat out is too clean it. and paint the rusting feet of it.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee

I just tried pulling up my carpet yesterday without taking seat out but there's just not enough room to get a good look and clean/sand let alone weld. I'm working on same project right now but my driver floor pan is real bad I need to pull seat so I can get to the old welds and clean up all the rust. I'm going to paint inside and out with magnet paints after its welded in. I cut my carpet out on driver's side it was soaked and smelled, I will top magnet with bed liner and my floor mats will cover it up good enough for me its just outdoor rig for me. I'm going to paint the whole under neath with magnet paint I think.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:06 PM
CF Veteran

Well that is like the only only place on my jeep other than a few outside places that have rust like the pass finder and under rear window...lol my rockers are even still good. (knock on wood) But its only about foot long by six inches wide, and I feel like maybe I could still do it?