Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driver window is stuck

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default driver window is stuck

about two hours ago I was pulled up next to my buddies car and I rolled the window down to talk to him. as I was driving away I began to roll my window up....it went up very slow and went up about a centimeter so I stopped trying to make it go up. a few seconds later I tried again and it went up a little more but then it stopped. Now when I flip the switch nothing happens, not even a sound. My front passenger window does not go up or down and Im somewhat familiar with how it works. with that window all I did was prop the glass all the way up so the window was closed all the time. and ive just been saving money waiting for the right time to replace the motor for it. however my drivers window will not budge at all and therefore I cannot even close it like I did with the other one that doesn't work. It is now 3am and im sick of trying to figure it out. I checked some fuses and pulled the door panel off to look inside. Not sure what to do at this point. Id like to get some opinions on all this. weather it sounds like its broken or not and needs to be replaced or if theres a simple fix to it. If I can just somehow get the glass all the way back up and get it to stay there like I did with the other one that would be great. this xj is my daily driver and with my long shifts at work im not trying to leave a window down the whole time. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out with this one. I look forward to some answers in the morning.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Did ya try pulling it up same time you use switch ? Cold weather has a tendency to make things more difficult to operate. Spraying pure silicone lube in tracks that glass slide up and down in can really help keep things working.

Last edited by freegdr; 11-29-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did try that. But it will not move at all.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

U can pop the door panel & remove the 2 bolts that holds the Window to the track. Brace it closed the best way you can. Only downside is no more drive thru.