Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilling leafs for bigger center pin

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 07:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Drilling leafs for bigger center pin

So I really hate to post a thread to ask this, but am I OK to drill out my leaf springs center hole from 5/16th to 3/8ths with a hand drill and some quality drill bits? I need to install shims, after installing my SYE, and the center pins are bigger. It's really my only option as I don't have access to a drill press. I'm sure it's been done, but I just don't want to screw up my leaf springs.

I've done my searching, but everyone seems to use a drill press, or I come up mainly with threads asking if they can relocate the center pin holes. I just want to enlarge the current center pin holes, and all I have are some standard 3/8th drill bits (quality Norseman bits) and my Milwaukee 18V drill. Should I take the springs apart and drill one at a time, or do them all together?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-25-2016, 08:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

You'll be fine to drill them, although regular drill bits won't cut it. Go get yourself some masonry drill bits. They're about all that will cut that hardened spring steel. I would do them all individually seeing as they'll be apart anyway. Be sure to use some lube while drilling to keep the heat down. It would be a bummer to burn up your drill bit with only a couple leafs left and have to buy another.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Use a new bolt, same size.

Chuck the bolt in your cordless drill.

Take the head of the bolt to a grinder or belt sander, using the drill as a lathe.......grind the head down round to 3/8.

Or~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use an allen head bolt.........head is likely 3/8.

Why in the hell would you attempt to drill a spring pack......hardened steel............when there is a painless option?
Old 04-26-2016, 06:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

are you doing a bastard pack?

i know either dakota or s-10 leafs (can't remember which ones, i've used both) use a 5/16 center hole, where as the cherokee uses a 3/8, so you have to drill out the holes of the bastard pack to the same size as the cherokee main leaf.

i've been there, done that a few times on others jeeps. it's painful trying to drill through those leafs, but go slow and lots of oil to keep it cool. heat is the main killer of drill bits.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:39 AM
CF Veteran

I'm installing shims. The shims I received from Tom Woods are 3/8ths diameter at the threads, not the head. I even need to drill the spring perch to so the bigger head can seat too.

I'm having no luck finding shims with 5/16th's bolts (threaded diameter). Or at least none of the ones online tell you what size bolt it uses, so I might end up with bigger bolts anyway. If anyone has experience with a manufacturer that received degree shims with 5/16th bolts, please let me know. I'm not trying to make more work for myself.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:43 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by caged
are you doing a bastard pack?

i know either dakota or s-10 leafs (can't remember which ones, i've used both) use a 5/16 center hole, where as the cherokee uses a 3/8, so you have to drill out the holes of the bastard pack to the same size as the cherokee main leaf.

i've been there, done that a few times on others jeeps. it's painful trying to drill through those leafs, but go slow and lots of oil to keep it cool. heat is the main killer of drill bits.
Nope, OME springs, I just received 3/8th bolts with the shims I got from Tom Woods, and I was just gonna work with what I had. Plus I figured a bigger bolt would be a little more insurance, so I was just gonna run with em.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:32 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

You can safely drill them. It wont be easy and you will need some high quality bits and some cutting oil. Generally when doing a bastard pack the XJ main leaf is all that needs to be enlarged. I wouldn't want to drill 8+ leafs but you can. I'm not so sure about using masonry bits though, I've done plenty of masonry drilling and wouldn't think that type of bit would bite well enough to get through spring steel. Hope it works out for you.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:40 PM
CF Veteran

So who sells shins with the stock 5/16ths center pin? I'll just order some and return the others.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by Tsaani97xj
You can safely drill them. It wont be easy and you will need some high quality bits and some cutting oil. Generally when doing a bastard pack the XJ main leaf is all that needs to be enlarged. I wouldn't want to drill 8+ leafs but you can. I'm not so sure about using masonry bits though, I've done plenty of masonry drilling and wouldn't think that type of bit would bite well enough to get through spring steel. Hope it works out for you.
I've used masonry bits on steel a lot, works well. Cheapest 9/16 bit I could find so I went with it.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
So who sells shins with the stock 5/16ths center pin? I'll just order some and return the others.
Buy shims that are made to bolt to the spring pack.....sounds like the ones you have are made to just fit around the center pin.

I currently have that kind on my jeep, and I am not happy with them.

I have a set that bolt on that I am gonna add today.

Rusty's sells them, so does summit, jegs, etc.......
Old 04-27-2016, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TRCM
Buy shims that are made to bolt to the spring pack.....sounds like the ones you have are made to just fit around the center pin.

I currently have that kind on my jeep, and I am not happy with them.

I have a set that bolt on that I am gonna add today.

Rusty's sells them, so does summit, jegs, etc.......
Nope, they aren't that style. They came with new center pins, they are just 3/8ths instead of the stock 5/16ths.

Nevertheless, I went ahead and order some new shims with the 5/16ths center pin. I'll get them Friday, and get them installed over the weekend much faster than drilling the leafs. This was my initial thought, but I figured I'd make what I have work. After much searching and this thread, getting ones with the right size center bolt is a MUCH better idea.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I know it's kind of a silly thread, but it helped make up my mind.