Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double check my setup for me, death wobble issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Renix 4.0
Default Double check my setup for me, death wobble issues.

Since I've got the xj rolling with the new front dana 44. I've had it wobble hard on me one time, the day before i got it aligned. Since I've gotten it aligned it hasn't showed its full self again (i.e. lock to lock) But I have felt it almost start a couple of times and then go away. I've been kinda scared to get it out on the highway, and have this stuff happen. I might break some things or worse run into someone else if i get a full lock to lock wobble going on at 60-70mph.

Here's a picture of what my setup looks like. Maybe a HD steering stabilizer would cure it. Everything is tight, everything is brand new...

Anyone see anything wrong?

Name:  100_1088.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  179.8 KB
Old 03-04-2012, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6

what steering set up is that?

and did they just align the toe? or did they do the caster too?
Old 03-04-2012, 06:07 PM

I did the steering linkages myself but copied this setup (http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/mercha...uct_Code=1TNST)

They aligned the Toe and straightened my steering wheel. He set it to 0.00 Toe.

I cut and rotated the C's myself and his laser alignment machine said i got them at 7 degrees caster right was 7.10 and left was 7.20. So basically dead on.

I think im going to take it back tomorrow and have him set it to Toe IN slightly. Seems like is wanders just a air while going down the road, he set it to cherokee "specs" and wagoneer specs say slight toe in, forget the actual measurements.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:14 PM

yeah toe in helped mine a little, but after I did the track bar i had it done again cause i felt like it and they set it toe out DX hopefully when i get the lcas done my mechanic will align it for free haha
Old 03-04-2012, 06:16 PM

Year: 96
Engine: Four oooooo

I would check where you had to drill holes for the trac bar to be located.. if the hole is too big the bolt has plenty of room to move inside the mount location. Give your ball joints a good check also.. worn ball joints have been known to cause DW..
Old 03-04-2012, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by JayHedrick
I would check where you had to drill holes for the trac bar to be located.. if the hole is too big the bolt has plenty of room to move inside the mount location. Give your ball joints a good check also.. worn ball joints have been known to cause DW..

Everything that makes up the front axle as a whole is completely NEW. I have the waggy 44 TNT truss welded on top, it came with a tracbar mount and hole already there, It's a snug fit.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by suzuki squid
Everything that makes up the front axle as a whole is completely NEW. I have the waggy 44 TNT truss welded on top, it came with a tracbar mount and hole already there, It's a snug fit.
ah rite on... theres just sooo many things that could cause the DW its really hard to pin point what is actually causing it.. all the way down to correctly balanced wheels can cause it.. I have read on another forum that a dude had a **** ton of water in one of his tires from the air compressor causing a bad DW..
Old 03-04-2012, 06:26 PM

aaaaand if i would have just looked a little closer i would have seen your new ball joints in there... my bad bro
Old 03-04-2012, 06:27 PM

the alignment will probably do it. If not then are your control arms all good? And what size tires? I've heard some people say they took some air out and were good to go.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:28 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

A couple of observations the angle of your track bar and your drag link should be parallel and Your toe should be toe'd in, IIRC it should be about 1/16"-3/32" (might want to search that) toe'd in. I'm not 100% sure that would cause the problems your describing but would definately be worth correcting so you can rule them out.
Almost forgot, a steering stabilizer just masks problems, not really a good cure.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:37 PM

My control arms are the RC x-flex, and they just sent me some over their updated bushings, so theres are all good and tight. Yeah, i'm going to run it over to the alignment place tomorrow and have him toe it in a touch, as its perfectly a 0.00 right now. But i dont think that will solve my slight DW issues. I'm thinking my Drag Link and Tracbar angles might be a bit off, But i dont think there is much i can do about that?? I mean they look pretty close i dunno.

Maybe a good sound stabilizer will tighten things up. If whats causing it is my Drag/Tracbar angles being off. Maybe a over the axle tracbar bracket and a Waggy drop pitman arm would get the angles closer? Im not sure.

My wheels are balanced and no water in them.

A lot of people say a stabilzer just masks whats causing it, but maybe it will tide me over until i can get a tracbar bracket ordered and welded on, along with a slight piman arm drop. But there again, i could just be wasting more money there too...
Maybe i have a crappy gear box? Maybe it needs to be adjusted? Can the stock XJ gearboxs be tightened up at all? Maybe theres too much in there??
Old 03-04-2012, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

It appears a dropped pitman arm would get you a lot closer to parrallel than it is now and their not too expensive.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:49 PM

I ended up just buying a stock waggy pitman arm, I couldn't seem to find a drop waggy pitman arm. I need the added length to get the full steering lock to lock.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:01 PM

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=377962

check out "Janster"s post about toe out to help death wobble? Is this true?
Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 PM

It's my rough country adj track bar. Its garbage... I installed the lift kit in Aug. and have only driven my xj to and from work. Haven't even been off the road with the damn thing, because it was 2 wheel drive when i bought it. And just recently i've finally put the front dana 44 in it. Got my old man to turn the steering back and forth with my under there to check things out. And the tie rod end on their track bar at the frame mount, is popping in and out (up and down) vertically. I tightened the castle nut as tight as I could get them damn thing, had him come out again. Same problem. What a piece of crap. Not to mention the jeep sat from the middle of oct. untill about 3 weeks ago.

The only thing I haven't had a problem with concerning their 4.5 full leaf pack kit, is the front springs, shocks, and brake lines. The xflex joints suck. I've gone through 3 sets of bushings/spanner nuts for the frame side ends. The quality control sucks.. The flat nuts that keep the bushings tight, have about 3.5 coarse threads in them, and all the ones i've received as replacements have the threads all mucked up from machining and terrible quality control. Had to sit with a file for about 20 min on each one to clean up the threads, and they still don't screw into the threads like a nut should thread on to a bolt. WITH EASE! Plus their damn spanner wrench tool they send you is complete crap, cheap metal, the pins twist on you, and its hard to even the the spanner nut tight. If you dont get it tight, the bushings will be loose and let the whole "johnny joint" wobble to much with just daily driving and wallow out the damn bushings.. Damn im pissed.

They're sending me out a new track bar tomorrow. Who knows how long this one will last, now that im actually able to take the thing off road.

Quick Reply: Double check my setup for me, death wobble issues.