Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double Cardan without cv style DS

Old 11-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Double Cardan without cv style DS

So the other day, my old teacher gave me a like new double cardan style driveshaft from an outboard motor. it seems to be the same ujoint size and everything, so i couldn't help but wonder if it would be possible to simply put the center part of the double cardan onto the ujoint on the tcase slipyolk ad then just reattatch the DS , making a sort of makeshift SYE? or even if i replaced the driveshaft with newer front DS?

I feel like it is too easy of an option for me not to have heard of it.. can anyone fill me in here?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:57 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

how is adding a double cardan joint to the stock driveshaft going to eliminate the slip yoke? The actual elimination of the slip yoke is possible because when we do an SYE, we typically use a front shaft which doesnt use a slip yoke, it is a collapsible shaft. The elimination of vibes is actually just a side affect of the SYE, and its a result of both the double cardan joint and the shorter mounting style of the fixed shaft

Last edited by Hoooper; 11-16-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Hoooper
how is adding a double cardan joint to the stock driveshaft going to eliminate the slip yoke? The actual elimination of the slip yoke is possible because when we do an SYE, we typically use a front shaft which doesnt use a slip yoke, it is a collapsible shaft. The elimination of vibes is actually just a side affect of the SYE, and its a result of both the double cardan joint and the shorter mounting style of the fixed shaft
ohh my bad, that made me sound really stupid... but if i were to keep the slip yolk in the tcase instead of eliminating it and add a double cardan, would that be beneficial at all? i was just thinking of ways to be able to add a couple more inches of lift without having to worry about worsening my DS angles.

i was thinking that it would make the driveline too long?
Old 11-16-2011, 05:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

can be done
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2011, 05:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by tomborsari
ohh my bad, that made me sound really stupid... but if i were to keep the slip yolk in the tcase instead of eliminating it and add a double cardan, would that be beneficial at all? i was just thinking of ways to be able to add a couple more inches of lift without having to worry about worsening my DS angles.

i was thinking that it would make the driveline too long?
it can be done, and may even work to help you out. I would question the whole point of this though. Because you will be adding a couple inches of length to the shaft, you will either need to have enough lift that its not a problem, or get the shaft shortened to keep it from bottoming out on the t-case. If it is the latter, just do it right and go for the SYE, you will save yourself the trouble of shortening the shaft AND have a true SYE
Old 11-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Seasoned Member

truth, i guess i just like to try to think of new ways of doing things! but thanks for the input guys, its much appreciated!