Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco pins

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Disco pins

Well I backed out of my driveway the other day and my passenger swaybar link pin either broke or fell out. I did a quick fix so I could get to school. The top part of the pic is what either fell out or broke, then the bottom was a random nut/bolt i found to hold me over till I found a more permanent solution. So, does anyone have any ideas as what I could use instead of those pins? Thanks.

Oh and please don't just tell me to run disconnected all the time, I'm not interested. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Disco pins-image-2185618102.jpg  
Old 10-03-2011, 04:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 290 Likes on 239 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

well i've never really had an issue with those style pins falling out so i would venture to say it may have been pulled out...or forgotten to reinstall. If they break then it should be obvious.... and whatever you may have been doing that caused it to break/shear it, You would have remembered.

EITHER WAY... i would just run up to your nearest hardware store and buy another pin, same one as your top pin, those things are a lot stronger than that little grade 5 bolt that's in there currently.

also btw, you can survive driving without it.. its not like driving with only 2 lug nuts or anything
Old 10-03-2011, 06:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

What he said, just go buy another pin. Probably cost like 2 bucks. Or if you wanted to be cheap about it I'm sure a grade 8 bolt would work fine, as long as it's properly sized (any excessive slack in there would be bad, it'll either wallow out the holes or cause failure of the bolt.)
Old 10-03-2011, 07:51 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by That Jeep Guy XJMJ
well i've never really had an issue with those style pins falling out so i would venture to say it may have been pulled out...or forgotten to reinstall. If they break then it should be obvious.... and whatever you may have been doing that caused it to break/shear it, You would have remembered.

EITHER WAY... i would just run up to your nearest hardware store and buy another pin, same one as your top pin, those things are a lot stronger than that little grade 5 bolt that's in there currently.

also btw, you can survive driving without it.. its not like driving with only 2 lug nuts or anything
Ok, I'll just get another pin. It must have fallen out, cuz I have not removed them yet/forgotten to out it back in. I was just backing out of my driveway when I heard a noise that sounded like a spring snapping. I got out, both my coils were seated. I then checked the steering linkage, it was good, I then saw that the link had become disconnected. So I have no clue where the pin went or what happened to it lol

Thanks for the help guys
Old 10-03-2011, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

Originally Posted by OOdynamite
Ok, I'll just get another pin. It must have fallen out, cuz I have not removed them yet/forgotten to out it back in. I was just backing out of my driveway when I heard a noise that sounded like a spring snapping. I got out, both my coils were seated. I then checked the steering linkage, it was good, I then saw that the link had become disconnected. So I have no clue where the pin went or what happened to it lol

Thanks for the help guys
what you should really do is ditch those cheap discos for some real ones like the ones from JKS quicker discos. i had the ones you have from RC and after about a month they would clank clank clank down the road, and take forever to put on and off. do yourself a favor, if you do any kind of offroading, ditch them
Old 10-03-2011, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.o

buy another pin, or get like a Grade 8 bolt to put in there.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by trans_am7935

what you should really do is ditch those cheap discos for some real ones like the ones from JKS quicker discos. i had the ones you have from RC and after about a month they would clank clank clank down the road, and take forever to put on and off. do yourself a favor, if you do any kind of offroading, ditch them
I actually bought those used from a member on here. 40 bucks shipped to my door. I don't have the money to get the JKS ones right now. I will upgrade to those eventually.