Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed with borla

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000 XJ
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.8L Stroker
Default Disappointed with borla

I ordered a stainless borla cat back system for my 2000 xj from quadratec. I got it. It looks beautiful. I tried installing it and the tailpipe hits my shackle. They have a weird jog in the last 12" of the tailpipe for some reason. Every cherokee in the world has a straight shot right out the back along side of the gas tank. I called borla and their response was "take it to an exhaust shop and have it fixed". Are you kiddin me?! I dropped almost 500$ on this exhaust and that is the solution their customer service comes up with? I called quadratec and their response was the same. They offered to take it back but would not cover shipping so it's basically the same result. Cough up the cash to have someone fix their poor design or cough up the cash to ship a huge box back to quadratec.

Disappointing.

Wish i would have bought local. Quadratec has really gone down hill. They used to be reasonable. Ever since they doubled their shipping costs they are tough to work with. Much better distributors out there.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by SpruceJedi
I ordered a stainless borla cat back system for my 2000 xj from quadratec. I got it. It looks beautiful. I tried installing it and the tailpipe hits my shackle. They have a weird jog in the last 12" of the tailpipe for some reason. Every cherokee in the world has a straight shot right out the back along side of the gas tank. I called borla and their response was "take it to an exhaust shop and have it fixed". Are you kiddin me?! I dropped almost 500$ on this exhaust and that is the solution their customer service comes up with? I called quadratec and their response was the same. They offered to take it back but would not cover shipping so it's basically the same result. Cough up the cash to have someone fix their poor design or cough up the cash to ship a huge box back to quadratec.

Disappointing.

Wish i would have bought local. Quadratec has really gone down hill. They used to be reasonable. Ever since they doubled their shipping costs they are tough to work with. Much better distributors out there.

Call back and ask to talk to John. Tell him what's going on. There's no sense in selling stuff that doesn't fit.

They'd be recouping ALL of my money.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:18 AM
Seasoned Member

John at borla or qtec?

I have the ability to cut and weld a piece of straight stainless pipe in there to make it work. But that's not the point. If I wanted to fabricate my own exhaust. I would have and saved a crap load of money. Just poor service is what irritates me.

Last edited by SpruceJedi; 10-31-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Quad has their heads up their asses. I ordered two small items from them and they were both shipped separately from the same facility at the same time in bags that were 10 times the size of the item. They also sent me a Wrangler catalog instead of a Cherokee catalog.. twice.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:07 AM

Year: 1998

I've ordered lots of stuff from them and also 4WD Hardware for the CJ.
Everytime, without fail, 4WD Hardware has been better to deal with, better shipping and customer service. They aren't always cheaper, but they are almost always within a couple dollars of Quadratec. In my opinion, always worth the few extra pennies...

Last thing I bought from QT was an accel tune up kit and a set of daystar poly motor mounts for the Cherokee. I didn't have any issues with that deal, but I can't stand how they ship things from 4 different locations and charge your credit card everytime something ships seperately. That seems to happen often when I order several CJ-7 parts. If I call in one order - I want to be billed once...
Old 10-31-2012, 11:07 AM
Seasoned Member

I spoke with Ian at qtec. He said to get a quite from an exhaust shop to get I fixed and fax it to him. We will see what comes of this. What a hassle.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

i had problems with quadratec also. i had a pinion yoke shipped over night for an emergency fix on the jeep and i didnt receive the part till 2 weeks later so i had to go find one locally last minute, then quadratec wouldnt take it back without having me pay the shipping back and a restocking fee because they shipped it super late, and not when it was supposed to like i payed for.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Got a link to it? or a pic of how it fits?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: I6

Really sucks, seems like qtec ain't that good, iv ordered Cherokee catalog 3 times already and I haven't received anything yet.. Don't know if it takes a while or what's happening
Old 10-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.6L stroker

That's a bummer man. I mean borlas expensive man they should stand behind their product. I have heard borla exhaust systems before they usually look great and sound nice, haven't heard one on an xj before though
Old 10-31-2012, 08:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

I am pretty sure they ship for free for us on this forum.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

Most of the stock XJ's I see have that jog too, but they are in stock form and need to adjust things so the new shackles will clear the tailpipe. Does yours have longer shackles? If so, mod the tailpipe or hangers to clear it.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

From what I have seen, for some reason the XJ exhaust systems do that... No ideas why. I have a Flowmaster cat back exhause that i got from Quadratec and it did the same thing... Lucky for me, my friend that helped me out install all my lift and stuff is a fab guy. He cut it out rebent it & rewelded it up. If it wouldn't have been for him I'd be screwed....

As for 4WD & Quadratec, I wanted to share the wealth when buying parts. I bought my lift, tires, bumpers (front & back), winch, exhaust, bushwacker fender flares, CB, etc & everything i bought from Quadratec came really fast. The stuff i ordered from 4WD never showed up, so I canceled everything and ordered it through Quadratec. I gotta say (imo) that Quadratec really came through for me & when I had issues, they made it good...

Really stinks when you have a bad experience with a business. You never forget it! I will not order from 4WD because of the issues I had!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:01 AM
Seasoned Member

I ended up going through three different customer service people before getting one who would work with me a qtec. His name is Ian. Was really good to work with. I proposed that they purchase a section of borla stainless exhaust pipe and send it to me and I will fabricate and fit it from there. I found the part. Gave him the link on summit and sent it all to him. After a day or so he called me back and said the exhaust pipe will be shipped directly to my house from borla. I was like 70$ so I guess that is something. I then negotiated with borla to send me a new chrome tailpipe tip since I will be cuttin up the pipe I have and may damage the tip that I have. He agreed. So all in all it worked out. Just a bit more labor than originally intended.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix
Default Borla ???

Did Borla system on customers Viper, the headers were fantastic fit, for sure when looking out of the box I thought no way, well super tight space and they went in great, all good back to the cats, from there the kit ends and your on your own to fab. Sound, well way too sharp for my ears, actually painful when standing outside the car and reving.. Well in the car with the throttle pegged you don't even notice the sound, your too busy trying to let go of the seat from your puckerd backside to care. Don't know the source but customer paid $1100 cdn and brought the kit in for install.
Lather, Rinse, if my choice? I would not repeat. But there's no tellin Stewie when he has his mind set. He was reviewing the whole set up with the local polize within a couple days.
Attached Thumbnails Disappointed with borla-img_2450.jpg   Disappointed with borla-img_2451.jpg   Disappointed with borla-img_2444.jpg  

Quick Reply: Disappointed with borla