Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 09-21-2015, 04:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Did my interior LEDs tonight! w/ detailed pics!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Did my interior LEDs tonight! w/ detailed pics!

Hey everyone!

So after some reading I decided to go with the SuperBrighLED's for my '98 XJ Sport. A very easy and incredible upgrade (although pricey) I highly recommend it. Please note this is a pic intensive thread and all of my pics are hosted on my own web server so it might be a little slow.

I'm sure this is for the '97 model years and up although the dome lights should work great for anything. One thing, my Sport has the push-button map lights. I have not replaced those yet due to the price (about $76 shipped) but will be doing soon.

Name:  IMG_1677_zps574537be.jpg
Views: 5241
Size:  268.1 KB

Supplies:
  • Scissors
  • Needle nose pliers or small tin snips
  • Soldering iron and solder
  • Hot glue gun
  • Packaging tape or possibly wire ties (to fasten floor well units)

The LEDs I ordered:

x2 1156-PCB-xWHP9: White 9HP-LED 1156 PCB Lamp (floors) $19.95 each
x2 UPCB-xWHP30: Universal LED Kit - 30 SMD LED PCB UPCB-CWHP30: Cool White (Front and rear dome lights) $16.99 each

Cargo Light

This was a little tricky. Here is the original lamp which features click button switch.
Name:  reardome-stock_zps2a852aec.jpg
Views: 4321
Size:  626.5 KB

The other side has the light bulb that snaps into metal clips on either end of the bulb. Unfortunately I didn't snap a picture of the other side before I modded it, but go pop yours out and you'll know what I mean (they come out of the headliner easily). I tried to cut these off but my tin snips are beat, so I just used needle nose pliers to bend the tabs inward to make it as flush with the plastic frame as possible.

Then, you'll want to mount the LED board over top of them and run the wires through...
Name:  reardome-wiring_zpsc0c6af01.jpg
Views: 4395
Size:  713.7 KB
I used hot glue to glue it into place, I hope it holds. If you do some heavy offroading you may want to get creative and find another way to mount them. Now before you solder, make sure that you test that you have the right leads for the light on the assembly by plugging it in. You can see I marked them on mine so I'm sure you can juts use this to go off of and you'll be fine. Try to solder them the best you can--I had trouble with the solder sticking to the metal bracket, perhaps I had the wrong stuff.

And the front side of the cargo light:
Name:  rear-dome-led_zpsc89c9b52.jpg
Views: 4299
Size:  135.8 KB
Name:  cargoled_zpsc893c8f5.jpg
Views: 4381
Size:  452.1 KB

Front Dome Light

The front dome light is similar to the rear except the original bulb has two hoops on either end of it that connect to the metal brackets. Luckily, these brackets can hold the LED panel pretty well on their own. You can wedge it between them and adjust it for the proper angle and again I used hot glue here to make sure it was a solid fit. You just have to solder them on carefully, same as the rear. Using my pic you should be able to match up positive and negative without a problem.

Here's the front without the lens cover--also I want to make note that now would be a good time to clean your lenses good. You'd be surprised at how dirty they get!
Name:  front-dome_zps57985e1d.jpg
Views: 4306
Size:  96.5 KB

And behind
Name:  front-dome-led_zpsdf24a4e4.jpg
Views: 4267
Size:  142.2 KB

Floor area

These were really easy. No mod really necessary as they screw right into the factory mount. The only thing was mounting the LED panel...I just used clear packaging tape to wrap it around a wire hanging from the dash but now have ziptied it since the image.

Name:  floor_zps8f5ff7ce.jpg
Views: 4257
Size:  59.3 KB

That's really all there is to it! I'm really happy with the purchase. Hope this helps someone who might be trying to decide which LEDs to go with because there are so many out there now.

Last edited by PocketsEmpty; 12-13-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 PM
CF Veteran

Awwww no love for my LEDs?
Old 01-08-2013, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I-6

I think it was money well spent man, looks great.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:32 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

great idea how did you mount the floor ones?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by The Rooster
great idea how did you mount the floor ones?
Read through and you'll see that I simply used packaging tape to wrap it up around the ODBII input on the drivers side, and a wire harness on the passenger side, lol. Only temporary until I figure out a better way to mount them--I'm thinking wire ties might be a good way to go, there isn't much good surface area to use double-sided tape with down there if you don't want the light board exposed.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:58 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Actually, looking at your pictures a little closer, I still think you have mine beat, at least in the front, heh. The rear looks about the same. I like the way you have yours though. Those front under the dash lights are out of control bright, lol. I am waiting on a couple LED bulbs to come in so I can replace mine as well. Great start on your rig though. :-)
Old 02-08-2013, 12:08 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cuzco25
Actually, looking at your pictures a little closer, I still think you have mine beat, at least in the front, heh. The rear looks about the same. I like the way you have yours though. Those front under the dash lights are out of control bright, lol. I am waiting on a couple LED bulbs to come in so I can replace mine as well. Great start on your rig though. :-)
Thanks, yeah they are insanely bright haha, it always wows my passengers! Just need to get those map lights done yet. But that's not priority now...Just ordered my 5.5" RE coils...Lift time imminent!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L

That is pretty cool and useful, it always helps to have more light at night. I might have to do these the same time I replace my dash lights with blue LEDs.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:02 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ss427ci
That is pretty cool and useful, it always helps to have more light at night. I might have to do these the same time I replace my dash lights with blue LEDs.
Theyve been great and holding up well...I've been considering doing my dash as well, in hopes to match my CD player lol...it has 24 colors but none match the factory lights
Old 03-24-2013, 02:01 AM

Year: 1995

I like the lighting I may have to do this soon.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

looks awesome I want
Old 04-15-2013, 12:47 PM

Looks great man!! I use mine for camping often and this would be helpful.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:10 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks! Still gotta do those dang map lights. If anyone can recommend anything, I'd appreciate it. Preferably a plug-and-play as opposed to what I did with the domes.

I'm hoping to get some Rigid Industries lights at some point, and something for camping would be great
Old 04-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks great, i need to go back and put stronger led's into my domes. What size are the bulbs for the map lights? i used some cheap t10 bulbs from ebay for most of my lights, but i dont have the map lights.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 6 cylinder 4.0L

I really don't wanna jack anyone's thread here, but I have been lookn all over to see if anyone else has done what I'm thinkn about doin. Has anyone put LEDs in these oval holes for the cab lighting? I personally think it will work well and look great. The holes are perfectly placed for each seat and even the rear.

Even any direction to where to look or who i can talk to would be great.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Did my interior LEDs tonight! w/ detailed pics!-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Did my interior LEDs tonight! w/ detailed pics!