Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deciding On Control Arm Choices:

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 02:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Question Deciding On Control Arm Choices:

Ok, so far im in the middle of a build seen here:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pr...-build-130541/

-& i noticed that my upper & lower control arms have bushings on all ends. Uppers are BDS, & lowers are Rustys. Im on 6.5" of lift & am not going any higher & i still getting decent flex out of my short arms. While i have the front axle pulled & & am plating everything, i figured nows as good as anytime to make better arms!!

-Choice one; The cheapest choice; since i get a good balance of flex form what i have, i was thinkin of cannibalizing one end on all the arms & welding in jonny joints or wrench flat bungs & run heims.

-Choice 2; The more practical choice; make a new set of short arms & buy the tubing & ends, then re-coop some of the money by selling my old ones.

-Choice 3; And the best choice; since i have a set of 1/4" brackets & im installing stiffeners & plating everything, why not make my own long-arms which would cost just a little more for way more benefit.

I DONT like the stock frame side brackets, especially the upper bolts that are a joke & id love to replace em with grade 8 hardware, so long arms would solve that. The pain-in-the-a$$ in making long arms is having to calculate precise measurements on clearance, pinion angle, & locating the axle under my rig at the same measurements my old XJ was in because it worked.

Last option, 3-link or 4-link?? My rig will see daily driving often so running a 4 link is best, & then i was thinkin i can just remove one arm for the trails. Any thoughts, advice, & opinions on this is where im going.

Thanks,
SeniorXJ
Old 04-21-2012, 07:56 AM

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Question

Heres choice one where i cut one end off & weld on a joint like this... http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...s-p-16765.html

Take it apart, get a good weld on it, put back together; seem doable??
Old 04-21-2012, 08:59 AM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche
Model: Cherokee

if you are going to go through the work of making arms, you might as well make them long arms, especially at your height. i built my arms using johnny joints and OEM bushings. i also didnt even bother messing with a 4-link calculator because there really isnt a whole lot of room for the uppers to mount if you dont want to cut open the floor. lastly, i dont see the need to remove an arm for wheeling. my joints arent even close to maxed out under full flex.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

I would suggest never spending money or time on short arms. Worth all the money and time to build some long arms. Just copy a manufactures design.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992 2 door sport

I say 3 link but I'm still researching them. From all I've read I havent seen a single person that aren't amazed with the 3 link.