Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dana 30 locker popping very loudly

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Dana 30 locker popping very loudly

So here's the deal, I'm on to my 3rd locker and second carrier and it is the same thing every time. Now the fine detail.

Two months ago I bought a used powertrax locker from a guy on craigslist. Put it in, all the measurements were right although teeth a little worn. it would click as normal during driving but off road it would simply allow one tire to unlock and spin rapidly with the popping increasing with speed.

Took that out and put my spiders back in since I figured it was a bad locker. Month later I blew up my axle shaft so I put a spare one in, three days later I blew up my spider gears.. two weeks later I blow the cross shaft in half.

After this I figure I'd buy a new spartan locker with a new cross shaft. Put it in but the cross shaft had a good bit of play in it. Threw it all back together and after driving it would click constantly and very loudly and low speeds would actually make the axle jump just a little bit.

So again I figure my carrier is bad.. Find a guy in my area that has a full carrier, gears, lock rite locker pre-installed and all. Take it apart again and put the new carrier in and check to see if my tolerances are at least close which they are. And again it is making the exact same noise.

With the cover off and spinning one tire, you can see the locker skipping and allowing the tire to spin which is making the same noise as I am driving

Axle is not bent as the shafts go in with ease. Still on 3.55 gears. Pinion is fine other then 1/4 of the top of a tooth missing, literally very small.

At this point I have no clue why it is not engaging since this new carrier and locker came out of a guys front end and went straight into mine..
Old 01-04-2015, 09:12 PM
CF Veteran

Here's a video a just took. you can't quite hear it while I'm driving due to road noise but at about a minute in I pull the camera inside and you can really hear it.

It seems as if it works since I put it in 4wd and climbed a hill relatively easy but I just don't like how loud it is

Old 01-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

Video says it's private.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Brandonrcm
Video says it's private.
Just changed it
Old 01-04-2015, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

I believed it does not have to do with my front diff or locker. Put her on stands and pulled the cover and the locker isn't disengaging rapidly nor does it actually sound like the nosie is coming from my axle. It's very hard to pinpoint it though because my jeeps so loud.

In 2wd there is no noise at all when its on the stands but as soon as I put it in 4wd it begins. does this sound like a transfer case?
Old 01-04-2015, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988

Pull the front shaft and see if it still does it. Your axle shafts will still turn the gears and locker but maybe if it is the tranfer case the front drive shaft wouldn't be turning the components in the case? Idk I would just to see. That way you can spin the yoke on the case in 2wd and see if you can replicate the noise
Old 01-04-2015, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 884x4
Pull the front shaft and see if it still does it. Your axle shafts will still turn the gears and locker but maybe if it is the tranfer case the front drive shaft wouldn't be turning the components in the case? Idk I would just to see. That way you can spin the yoke on the case in 2wd and see if you can replicate the noise
I've got it on stands now with the cover pulled. In 2wd it doesn't make any noise, in 4wd drive it does but it doesn't seem to be coming from the diff or locker. it almost seems like my transfer case or transmission but it is rhythmic to my speed.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:23 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ThatPurpleXJ
I've got it on stands now with the cover pulled. In 2wd it doesn't make any noise, in 4wd drive it does but it doesn't seem to be coming from the diff or locker. it almost seems like my transfer case or transmission but it is rhythmic to my speed.
We're you in 2wd for the vid? Cause it sure was making noise lol
The thing is all those components will turn even in 2wd on pavement because the unit hubs. If it doesn't do it when just the rears are turning(like 2wd on stands) then the problem could be from the case to the hubs on the d30. Your gonna have to narrow it down by pulling to drive shaft and turning the yoke, and turning the tires. It's coming from somewhere
Old 01-05-2015, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 H.O

Does it only make the noise when turning? I have a lokka in the front of mine and you can hear it when i'm turning in 2wd or if I hit the brakes with one tire on the snow and one on the pavement its pretty loud.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

How to stop the problem........STOP buying JUNK for the D30 for what you have spent on those other junk units and all the labor you should have just bought ONCE!

Buy a Detroit Locker and be done with it they are quiet, dependable and most important reliable in operation and less than you have is the others you bought and only one install.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

I remover my front shaft and had no noise in 2wd or 4wd while it was on stands. Drove it without the shaft and still have the same noise. Threw it on the rack at work and I've pin pointed it to either the pinion or the transfer case. Putting my ear to a screwdriver, the noise is the same volume at the diff and transfer case but I'm not sure if the sound is traveling down the drive shaft..
Old 01-05-2015, 05:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
How to stop the problem........STOP buying JUNK for the D30 for what you have spent on those other junk units and all the labor you should have just bought ONCE!

Buy a Detroit Locker and be done with it they are quiet, dependable and most important reliable in operation and less than you have is the others you bought and only one install.
That's cute but it isn't the locker anymore, the problem lies elsewhere. And I'm down dumping money into this turdy anymore. No point to drop a grand in it when I'm going 1-tons by summer or fall..
Old 01-05-2015, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ThatPurpleXJ
I remover my front shaft and had no noise in 2wd or 4wd while it was on stands. Drove it without the shaft and still have the same noise. Threw it on the rack at work and I've pin pointed it to either the pinion or the transfer case. Putting my ear to a screwdriver, the noise is the same volume at the diff and transfer case but I'm not sure if the sound is traveling down the drive shaft..
If it diddnt do it in 4x4 on stands with the shaft out that eliminates the transfer case.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 w/ tupy head

Spartans aren't crap but they are loud.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are your left and right tires the same diameter and same air pressure