Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

d30 Lunchbox or trutrac

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default d30 Lunchbox or trutrac

looking at locking up my d30 front. right now i got welded rear on 33s and rig is STRICTLY offroad. wondering if i should get a lunchbox front or a trutrac, leaning more towards the tru trac because at the moment my t case shifter doesnt really work that well.. so its not easy to shift from 2 to 4. i think im having issues with the shift fork.. and im not tearing that apart for basically no reason. i dont want it to be to hard to turn on trails just leaving it in 4 will having a lunch box hurt me in that aspect? i would love a selectable locker but theres no way im forking over that kind of money. haha
Old 05-25-2015, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

I run Detroit Lockers in both front and rear on mine, its not a DD but I do drive it on the highway as well as around town. I can think of only twice that I shifted out of 4wd to do a 4 point turn on a trail ( reality about a 12 pointer) was really narrow with a ledge on one side and a drop off on the other. With that said I still could have done it in 4wd but would have taken longer for sure.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I run Detroit Lockers in both front and rear on mine, its not a DD but I do drive it on the highway as well as around town. I can think of only twice that I shifted out of 4wd to do a 4 point turn on a trail ( reality about a 12 pointer) was really narrow with a ledge on one side and a drop off on the other. With that said I still could have done it in 4wd but would have taken longer for sure.
wow. maybe the lunchbox will be ok then. im not sure ive never driven with a locked front before!
Old 05-26-2015, 07:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

I used to run a lunch box D30 up front.
Now I've got a Yukon Grizzly in my D44 Front.

They act the exact same on and off road...
The benefits of a Grizzly/Detroit is they're full case lockers so they're stronger and operate quieter by design.

They're unlocked when there isn't power to them and locked when power is on them.

I never had any problems driving around with a locked front.
If you're not regearing and just want to lock it slap in a lunch box.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:09 AM

Year: 1991

I run lunchbox lockers in both my rigs (Jk and XJ). Both hpD30s. For the money you cant beat them. Both work great and I have no real complaints. However, if I ever step up to beefier axles I will go with an ARB. My Jk has an ARB in the rear and its awesome.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Save up until you can afford a selectable locker, you'll be so glad you did.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:29 PM

Year: 1998

^ what he said
taking mine to a shop on the 30th for an eaton elocker.
Highest value and THE best and most reliable selectable on the market.

but if you do go with an auto lunchbox get the lokka, $199.95 shipped to your door
Old 05-26-2015, 03:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 4.5L Stroker

Sound like a beater. So yeah save up for something that cost more than your jeep is worth! haha that's practical way to do it, im sure you would be glad... idk. Lunch box it and go have fun
Old 05-26-2015, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparNJeep
Sound like a beater. So yeah save up for something that cost more than your jeep is worth! haha that's practical way to do it, im sure you would be glad... idk. Lunch box it and go have fun
x2, Ive been running the front locked that way for years, aussie and spartan with very few issues.. You get good at predicting when you need to turn etc, when the wheels should be pointed straight & when its ok to be at full lock.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 4.5L Stroker

Spartan up front working great for me. $255 shipped to my door. Washington trails are know for being tight and narrow and I've had no issues. Sure not the best way but works great on a budget
Old 05-26-2015, 06:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
Save up until you can afford a selectable locker, you'll be so glad you did.
I agree, I have the Yukon zip locker on my dana 44 front, I love the ability to turn front wheels while on the rocks
Old 05-26-2015, 07:36 PM

yeah i only paid 800 for the jeep... i have more into it then that but LOL
Old 05-26-2015, 08:35 PM

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
Year: 1998

lunch box it I drive my lunch box rig every day sun rain or snow with not issues and its a beast on the trails. Do I wish I had selectables, YES, but I can not afford them and this is much better than spider gears.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:41 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Ran a true trac for one ride and hated it and sold it. I'm currently running a welded Spartan, didn't hold up and warranty sucks and I didn't have any spiders to weld. I've ran locked in the front in most of my rigs, welded in others, and turn just fine. Welded is another story and wouldn't recommend it unless you have locking hubs. If you can afford it buy a full case locker but if not get an Aussie or Lokka, Spartan if you run small tires and don't plan on actually wheeling it. I am one of several of my friends that have killed Spartans but my Aussie lasted me 5 years before I sold it. Lokka is the exact locker and run less than 200 bucks.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by xjmarc
Ran a true trac for one ride and hated it and sold it. I'm currently running a welded Spartan, didn't hold up and warranty sucks and I didn't have any spiders to weld. I've ran locked in the front in most of my rigs, welded in others, and turn just fine. Welded is another story and wouldn't recommend it unless you have locking hubs. If you can afford it buy a full case locker but if not get an Aussie or Lokka, Spartan if you run small tires and don't plan on actually wheeling it. I am one of several of my friends that have killed Spartans but my Aussie lasted me 5 years before I sold it. Lokka is the exact locker and run less than 200 bucks.
'

that is what im worried about, like i said i have a welded rear and need some more traction up front. im not easy on the skinny pedal.. im running 33s right now and its holding up. dont really plan on going bigger, maybe 35s but i know ill break stuff then.

Last edited by guinelle1; 05-26-2015 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply: d30 Lunchbox or trutrac