Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting fenders, not cut-n-fold

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Cutting fenders, not cut-n-fold

I've never really liked the cut and fold for the rear fenders, I'm going to cut and weld, but I'm not sure the best way to cut the fender. I'm assuming I'll use an angle grinder, but I've seen some people say they are impossible to get a clean cut. I'm not sure if I'll run flares, so I want it to look clean and straight with minimal clean up necessary.

What do you recommend of the following?

Angle grinder
Die grinder
Sawzall
Jig saw

I don't have a body saw or shears. I'm thinking the jig saw with a good high tooth count metal blade might be the best if I get it prepped right. Angle grinder would be easiest and fastest, but is it too easy to screw up?

I want to follow the lip just above the holes and pinch welds.

Cutting fenders, not cut-n-fold-img_3253.jpg

I've seen a ton of write ups on the cut and fold, are there any good write ups or videos on the cut and weld? I've only really seen one or two and they cut way more off than I want to and have to basically weld a new inner fender. I'm thinking I can get away with just cutting and welding to the existing inner fender if I cut just above the pinch welds. Am I on the right track?
Old 04-29-2017, 09:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

I just cut mine using a diamond bit on my dremel. Took quite a while with the small wheel, but avoided making mistakes by correcting them before it got too deep
Old 04-30-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 5.7L LS1

In theory your plan will work. Since you'll be welding the edge and it'll need to be cleaned up after the fact anyway you can use a 4" cutoff wheel. It makes easy work of the cut but will be a little messy around the corners.

Something to keep in mind is that the inner fender does not conform exactly to the outer fender except at the pinch weld/glue surface. Thus if you cut at the edge where most people fold the pinch weld back to you'll have a gap between surfaces. Your plan to cut just above the pinch welds should avoid this. In this picture of the inner fender you can see how close the fender flare mounting hole is to where the fender curves away from the outer fender mating surface.

Name:  009_1.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  881.6 KB

Have you ever welded body sheet metal? Go very slowly to avoid putting too much heat into the fender. I just did small spot welds evenly spaced, let cool, then back across. Repeat process until done.

Name:  002_3.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  1.09 MB
Old 04-30-2017, 10:32 AM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by USN_JeepXJ
In theory your plan will work. Since you'll be welding the edge and it'll need to be cleaned up after the fact anyway you can use a 4" cutoff wheel. It makes easy work of the cut but will be a little messy around the corners.

Something to keep in mind is that the inner fender does not conform exactly to the outer fender except at the pinch weld/glue surface. Thus if you cut at the edge where most people fold the pinch weld back to you'll have a gap between surfaces. Your plan to cut just above the pinch welds should avoid this. In this picture of the inner fender you can see how close the fender flare mounting hole is to where the fender curves away from the outer fender mating surface.

Have you ever welded body sheet metal? Go very slowly to avoid putting too much heat into the fender. I just did small spot welds evenly spaced, let cool, then back across. Repeat process until done.

Thanks, that picture of the inner fender helps a lot, it looks like it curves away just where I want to cut, there may be a little gap, but looks like it will be workable.

I've never welded body sheet metal, but have done some work on trailer fenders, they were probably about the same gauge. I know it won't be fun and will take time and patience, but I think it will be worth it in the end to do it right.

I think I'm going to do the rear rocker cut and fold first, I'll try welding that area and see how it goes, then I'll know if I really want to tackle the fenders,
Old 04-30-2017, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l l6

you can easily make a pretty straight cut with a cut off wheel. just mark the line with a straight edge and make sure you're holding it in a position that lets you see where the wheel is on the line.

you'll be fitting new metal and welding so even if you happened to drastically miss the line you can always add metal and fix your mistakes. jbennett gave really good advice with welding the new piece in. spot weld both ends of the piece so it holds where you want it and then slowly progress with your welds until its fully welded in.