Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CS144 Alternator Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6L I6 Stroker with port matched +99 intake and 62mm TB
Default CS144 Alternator Upgrade

I need some help from y'all. I've been scouring the interwebz for most of the afternoon for a write up on the CS144 alternator upgrade for us Renix folks, to no avail... Perhaps I'm not putting in the correct parameters for the search, but I know this is a common upgrade, but I just haven't been able to find a definitive write up for it.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Engine: AMC242

I'm sorry I don't have any specific donors for fitment of the CS144 - but that isn't strictly necessary anyhow.

The CS144 is often fitted to get something over 100A nominal output. The CS130 (similar vintage, through a few years after) can be found in ratings up to 140A - and will be a direct fit, you'll likely just have to swap the front half of the case. (You need an impact gun to remove the pully and fan, and a nutdriver to remove the through screws to separate the case halves. If you are careful, you can do so without disturbing the rotor - if you slip, just have a toothpick or a bit of straight, solid wire handy. If the rotor is disturbed, just remove it - then reach down into the back of the case, press the brushes back into the plastic holder, and hold in place with the toothpick or wire. Once you set the rotor in place, draw the toothpick out through the back of the case.)

Make sure the rear casing is still "clocked" relative to the front. Since both mounting tabs are on the front case half, CS-130 alternators are otherwise identical, and will swap freely.

ALTERNATIVE: Any competent shop can drop in 140A parts for a reasonable fee, and you're better off with a rewind house anyhow - "The best warranty is the one you don't need."

If you have a few minutes to work on it, any competent counterman with a paper catalogue to hand can find you a CS-130 rated for 140A, and the front case halves swap readily. Check GM cars of similar vintage, known for heavy power options (Cadillac and high-end Buick and Pontiac come to mind. A bit less common in Olds, and probably not worth mentioning in Chevvy pax. May find suitable donors in Suburbans of similar vintage, and vans are more likely than pickup trucks. I'd give you more information, but I need to score a new catalogue first...)

The advantage is that it will be a DIRECT swap!

(Although I should mention - while pillaging through the Buyer's Guide in the back of the catalogue, suggest you note the regulator number in your OEM application and in your potential donors. I believe there were two or three different parts in use, and I don't quite recall if they all swap readily.)

But, having a Delco actually makes the job a good deal EASIER than it would normally be otherwise - Delcos are swapped around bloody everywhere...
Old 02-24-2014, 07:13 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.6L I6 Stroker with port matched +99 intake and 62mm TB

Thanks! This helps a good bit.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by onlyinajeep726
Thanks! This helps a good bit.
Glad I could help!

I may not have as much specific information to hand as I'd like (workin' on that again...) but feel free to ask anyhow. I may have some little factoid rattling around in the back of my head that would make your job considerably easier...
Old 02-25-2014, 12:18 PM

Year: 2000

This will help to.
http://oljeep.com/gw/alt/edge_Alternator_Theory.html